Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,091   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/16 Red Window in use

If I am remembering correct from my mind archive, some members reported to not use red window and need of black tape it when using it with modern films. I am remembering that I was using Kiev 88 magazine without problem even without red window and velvia to isopan.
    You can even touch the film backing with Kiev magazines.

I did not use above camera with film but my first observation was the film advancing knob is turning to infinity without care of advancing per 6 centimeters.

Now can I use red window without problem with Portra to Tri X ?

I need to add there is a sliding metal window to close the red window also.

Thank you,
    Umut

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Always a good idea to keep the slider closed as much as practical. Open it to advance and then close it.

I have seen no fog due to red window when I shoot Tri X in an Ikonta. (My fog comes from the front, through the bellows).

I believe a small film manufacture company may have difficulty sourcing backing paper that is opaque to visible light. If in doubt of the manufacturer, keep the light subdued when window is open.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have experienced smearing with 400 ASA film (both color and B&W) in a red window camera when used in bright sunlight, even when slider is opened just long enough to wind film to the nxt exposure. I have used Ilford and Kodak B&W film, as well as Kodak E-6 and C-41 film. I can't recall exactly at the moment, but I seem to recall Ilford smearing more than Kodak... and all color film smearing more than I can accept.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you Bill and Brian,

That sounds not good. I think If there would be a problem with visible light , no Kiev 88 owners would not be able to use their cameras. I think problem is red light. But this is an guess. I think Bill is right about using that window with shadowing with rain coat.

Now this thread is its own and I have to open a thread about advancing without seeing the backing .

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had no difficulty using slow film... so the news isn't as bad as it seems!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 6x17 camera has quite a large window to see the frame numbers and no red filter, that hasn't been a problem even when I've forgotten to close the slider and that was in the usually bright sunshimne of the Aegean cost in Turkey which is just about the maximum my light meters can read

That's with HP5/Tmax & Delta 400 as well as slower films including Fomapan 200. No problems with my old Nettar either.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some red window problems may relate to other light paths between the window and the emulsion -- reflections behind the pressure plate or the like. A while back I tested my Perkeo II with full afternoon sun from different angles, 15 minutes on each test with the window slider open and could not see any visible effect with 400 film (TMax 400). So I don't worry too much about it. But I readily admit there could be differences between cameras as well as backing paper, so it is probably best practice to avoid unnecessary exposure.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you Brian, Ian and Dave.

Now I am more confident about that red window.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never had any problem at all with the red window on a Nettar, and I shoot in some very bright conditions routinely. Fast film, slow film, color, b&w, various brands, doesn't seem to matter. I wouldn't try it with 220 though. :-)

Of course with 6x6, there's the advantage that the red window is in the middle rather than at an edge, so it would take a pretty strange path to result in a light leak around the backing paper. I suppose in theory you could leave the window open for a long time and get print-through, but it's never been a problem for me.

Actually, apart from damaged bellows (bellowses? bellowsen?), the only leaks I've ever had in folders have been from the body "seam" rather than the back. Some of the older 6x9 models from other manufacturers don't close very solidly, but Zeiss certainly never had a problem with that!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you Nathan,

I bought my camera from Mike,an Sheffield resident and new APUGer. He has 5 pictures with that camera at gallery and some of them are excellent. I looked to the interior of the camera , bellows, shutter, diaphgram, knobs and the door attached film squeezing plate are at excellent condition and there were even no fingerprints. I pressed to the door plate and it fits perfectly to the place and there are no gap to carry the light train to the corners.

Umut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin