Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,484   Online: 904

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The best thing about travelling with an RZ (other than the image quality), is that when your wife loses you, she can mime "bald man, BIIIIIIIIG camera" and all the locals and other tourists point the way. I have a lot of photos of other tourists (mostly Japanese) posing with me and the RZ; apparently I am more interesting than both Angkor Wat and the Forbidden City.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep. A better question might be "why not just carry a tripod too and be done with it?"

That's really what determines where I shoot 4x5 or 35mm/medium format. If I'm out looking for photos, of relatively still subjects, as my primary activity I'll probably take the 4x5 plus tripod, or possibly the 645 Pro with or without tripod. If I'm doing something else but think I might find something nice to photograph I'll take 35mm or the Yashicamat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RB67 + 2 lenses + bag with meter and film + tripod with quick release shoe makes for a nice photographic walk in the park
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leaf-October 2012.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello everyone, just joined and making my first post! Greets from Philadelphia!

I walk for fun and exercise, and many times walk up to 20 miles at a time. A few weeks ago, having just gotten back into to 35mm film, I picked up an RB67. It's a brute to use, but I have grown to appreciate what it's done for my photography, and the images are as good as I am that day. Getting to the point, I went out by public transportation to the NW boundary of Philadelphia, and shot with the RB67 in Fairmount Park, walking 20 miles back to my house, shooting 3 rolls in total. That's with the RB, the 65mm Sekor C I keep on the camera, the 90mm just in case, my tripod, a Canon 35mm for metering, film, water, and a big lunch I ate halfway through the day.

I was much more tired after this walk than when I have no gear, that's for sure! It was not impossible though, and I'll be glad I lugged that little piggy around when I get my film back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG!

Always happy to have more "good examples" join
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David T T View Post
    Hello everyone, just joined and making my first post! Greets from Philadelphia!

I walk for fun and exercise, and many times walk up to 20 miles at a time. A few weeks ago, having just gotten back into to 35mm film, I picked up an RB67. It's a brute to use, but I have grown to appreciate what it's done for my photography, and the images are as good as I am that day. Getting to the point, I went out by public transportation to the NW boundary of Philadelphia, and shot with the RB67 in Fairmount Park, walking 20 miles back to my house, shooting 3 rolls in total. That's with the RB, the 65mm Sekor C I keep on the camera, the 90mm just in case, my tripod, a Canon 35mm for metering, film, water, and a big lunch I ate halfway through the day.

I was much more tired after this walk than when I have no gear, that's for sure! It was not impossible though, and I'll be glad I lugged that little piggy around when I get my film back.
    Welcome, David. I haven't carried my RB for that far yet, but I've done miles, walking around. I'd love to shoot in Philly. I love that city. I almost moved there a few years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks folks.

Philly's a great place to shoot, especially in the Fall. I picked a good time of year to back back into film!

Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David T T View Post
    Thanks folks.

Philly's a great place to shoot, especially in the Fall. I picked a good time of year to back back into film!
    I used to live in Pennsylvania. Williamsport to be exact. East coast is absolutely gorgeous in the autumn. I used to shoot 35mm, but I never got into much color back then. I'd LOVE to shoot some slide film there sometime. I'm a big fan of winter as well. God, I miss the east coast.

Shooter
    Multi Format

It is always about the weight of the RB.

Why do people always complain about the weight of the RB? If you want a nice little light camera get a H'blad and be satisfied. The question should be is, can you make some money with this camera? Certainly it is great for decor photography with a 16X20 being a big seller from what I have read, and easily could go to a 20X24. For the price they are going for, (I know because I sold one on ebay and was sorry I did) they are a great camera to get started in that business. Then after you have sold some pics, you can get into 4X5's. Yes, they are heavy, but if you are using it to make money you have to do a little work. If you are only taking pictures to hang on the wall, they are a little overkill. A 35mm will do just fine for that. Have about 10 copies of your best 5-7 shots made and go to an art show and see if they sell. Read up on the biz on the internet and see what happens. Or put your work on a web page. After you get $200 for your shots, you will look at the RB as a nice light camera. Ric.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got my RZ because it did commercial work, but I still complain of the weight. Otherwise, I'd probably get a Hassy. Both are lovely cameras with top-notch lenses. I still love using the camera after 25 years and hundreds of rolls of film. I never owned a Hasselblad, only assisted photographers that used them. The film backs are harder to load for me, but the camera feels better in my hand. One is not better than the other, just different.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin