Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,746   Online: 905

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    okay next time the back is empty I will look into this - any idea how/where the back closed detection occurs?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sure it never stopped it was loaded from roll to spool n never went over the end roller that detects n advances the counter works to meter the frames.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Sure it never stopped it was loaded from roll to spool n never went over the end roller that detects n advances the counter works to meter the frames.
    sorry I don't understand what you are saying. Can you clarify? The film was loaded correctly, if that's what you're wondering?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nwilkins View Post
    okay next time the back is empty I will look into this - any idea how/where the back closed detection occurs?
    I would suspect the mechanism is in the latch that holds the back cover closed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe you loaded from the back end instead of the front end.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for the replies everyone. When I say I'm not sure what happened, here is what I mean:

I loaded the film the same way as I always do - correct routing, stopping with the arrow in the right place, closed up the back as normal. then I gave it to my friend to wind as I started loading a second back. I said "just wind it until it stops". normally of course it is only about 4 or so winds and then it stops automatically at the first frame. However I wasn't paying attention and he didn't know any better and for some reason the back did not automatically stop the film, so he rolled it all onto the take up spool. Bascially the back seemed not to recognize that a film had been loaded. It was a weird glitch since I loaded another roll in the back and it worked just fine.

The film in a normal load passes over an end roller. That roller detects the film and meters the frames as it counts.

If the film is not making good contact with this roller or there is an adjsutment out of spec dealing with this roller... it will wind on forever nonstop.. as well as some other intermittant inconsistancies... like you say it has a symptom with the dark slide.

As also mentioned by others.. there is a small tab that gets pushed in when the door is closed, that engages the counting mechanism and roller sytem. If the tab is not properly pushed in or the mechanism is out of spec it too will give you similar symptoms... but still part of trhe same roller mechanism linked by a signal arm; that is the most comon part to go out of adjustment..

But it all starts as you described above.. all weird quirky symptoms... asking for service.. not screaming yet. Perhaps the service costs too much these days... so buy a backup for $25 before this one drops dead on you.. cheaper solution?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Look at the door edge up by the counter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    okay thanks everyone. The problem must be with the back closing mechanism, since as I said I opened the back after two winds, then re closed it (not altering anything) and then it worked just fine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Look at the door edge up by the counter.
    I just checked my RZ backs, and there's a little lever there on the top edge near the counter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin