Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,490   Online: 1101

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

shooting 120 from the wrong end on rb67?

I was having a friend help load one of my rb67 backs and somehow he managed to wind the entire roll of film over to the take up spool. the back was definitely closed so i dont know how this happened. In any case, now the film is at the "exposed" stage without ever having seen any light. does anyone know if it is possible to move the roll back over to the left side and shoot it starting from the "exposed" end? Or is there any other way to salvage the roll?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    get thee a dark bag or a darkroom, take the film out of the back and IN TOTAL DARKNESS hook the paper backing back onto an empty spool and just start winding it up .

Be careful for when the end of the film comes along because it is not taped down to the paper on that end, when you reach/feel it just make sure it stays in the roll. When you get to the other end of the film, where it is taped down, there may be a bump if it is pushing against the tape there but that's not a big deal.

keep winding until you get to the end, turn on the lights, reload and shoot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm NOT quite sure what happened. If you are sure the film never saw the light, you could take the back into a darkroom, rewind it and load it the right way. There IS a chance the emulsion surface may have been scratched though. If it were my film, I won't use it for anything important.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you get to the tape, carefully remove it, take up the slack and re-affix it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find that with one of my backs if I don't have the darkslide in when I start advancing the film, it doesn't lock at 1 and simply continues until the roll is gone.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Didn't he stop at the start line?

I was trying to figure out what your friend did, and why he would wind all the film to the end. When you put a roll in, you line up the start arrow or line or whatever you film says, with an arrow on the insert. Then you close the door and wind it a few winds before it should stop. If it doesn't stop shortly, something is wrong. I would think generally about two winds of the lever should do the trick, and if it doesn't you should know something is wrong.

The only thing I can think of, and I did this stupid mistake myself once, was to run the film directly from one roll to the other without going in front of the pressure plate. As if it was 35mm film. I caught it right away. (I'm not supposed to do that sort of thing for another 20 years.) Could that have been what he did? Ric.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

shooting 120 from the wrong end on rb67?

When I got the rb I had previously used a tlr and tried loading it the same way, which meant I ran the film between the spools without going around the other side of the back over the pressure plate. Doesn't work very well though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for the replies everyone. When I say I'm not sure what happened, here is what I mean:

I loaded the film the same way as I always do - correct routing, stopping with the arrow in the right place, closed up the back as normal. then I gave it to my friend to wind as I started loading a second back. I said "just wind it until it stops". normally of course it is only about 4 or so winds and then it stops automatically at the first frame. However I wasn't paying attention and he didn't know any better and for some reason the back did not automatically stop the film, so he rolled it all onto the take up spool. Bascially the back seemed not to recognize that a film had been loaded. It was a weird glitch since I loaded another roll in the back and it worked just fine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yesterday this finally happened again (this time I was winding the film) - I loaded the back correctly and closed it up but when I wound the film the counter did not catch. I wound it a second time to make sure it wasn't working, then opened up the back, closed it again and it worked as normal (now though I suppose I might not get 10 shots?). Does anyone know why this might be occurring? Exactly how does the back know there is film in it to start the counter moving? If I knew what was supposed to be happening mechanically I could see if it is something easy to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by nwilkins View Post
    thanks for the replies everyone. When I say I'm not sure what happened, here is what I mean:

I loaded the film the same way as I always do - correct routing, stopping with the arrow in the right place, closed up the back as normal. then I gave it to my friend to wind as I started loading a second back. I said "just wind it until it stops". normally of course it is only about 4 or so winds and then it stops automatically at the first frame. However I wasn't paying attention and he didn't know any better and for some reason the back did not automatically stop the film, so he rolled it all onto the take up spool. Bascially the back seemed not to recognize that a film had been loaded. It was a weird glitch since I loaded another roll in the back and it worked just fine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think the backs detect the presence of film because the little nubs that hold the spools are both pressed-in slightly. I haven't tested that by putting a couple empty spools in there though.

However, I think your problem is that the back-closed detection is failing. The counter only winds on when the back is closed and you can crank it all day to no effect while open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin