Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,957   Posts: 1,522,975   Online: 1156

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya RB67 Pro S questions regarding lenses

Hello, I'm new here and just aquired a Mamiya RB67 Pro S body. I had shot with this little gem in the past before but this is the first one I've owned in 20 some years. Currently shoot digital Nikon. But I am in the process of trying to decide on a lens for the RB67 Pro S. Can you please advise which would be best for landscape such as star trails etc. and then also one for portraits. Also does the RB67 Pro SD 120 back work on the RB67 Pro S? Thank you all for your help with this, much appreicated.
    Bobbi, Midwest

Shooter
    Large Format
    For portraiture most people want a normal lens and a short telephoto. I used a 110mm and a 180mm on my RZ67. To compare to 35mm or full frame digital you divide by 2 to give you the focal lengths of 55mm and 90mm. The 110mm is not available for the RB but there is something close to the same focal length available.

Most landscape photographers like wide angles. The 50mm or 65mm are both nice. It just depends on which focal length you prefer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome, bjanders.

Lenses for Mamiya RB67 cameras come in three flavours: the old 'non-C', the newer C lenses and the latest K/L line. If you can afford it, go for the K/L lenses.

For portraits, I would recommend the K/L 180mm. It's a very, very good lens that can be picked up brand new for pennies these days. 180mm in 6x7 is more or less equivalent to 85mm in 135 (that's FX in digital).

For landscapes, the K/L 65mm (32mm equivalent) should be excellent. I have the older C version myself and it is a marvelous piece of glass.

ProSD backs work just fine on a ProS camera and are in my opinion well worth the upgrade. They have mechanical light baffles, which means no messing around with old light seals and stuff. Then again, that's just a personal preference.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 50c lens a great landscape lens. Check out KEH.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A really fun portrait lens is the 150SF.

As to the landscape lens, depends on your vision.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys... all wonderful help to me, I really appreciate it! I'll be looking for the 65 and 180 I think and thanks for the SD/S back tip, couldn't find anything online specifically as to compatibility with the Pro S so that's great to know too! Awesome help! thanks again, Bobbi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img015.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	756.6 KB 
ID:	59583 This was taken with a 50mm non c lens-one of my fav lenses of all time,it stayed on my rb67 90 per cent of the time-a wonderful lens for the wide angle close-up types such as myself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Alan that is a nice shot! I'm probably going to end up with quite a few of these lenses by looking at everyones images. I honestly do miss film and the quality you get with the images without spending a huge fortune on "L" glass. Not that I'm saying Digital is bad lol... just miss the film quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bjanders View Post
    Thanks guys... all wonderful help to me, I really appreciate it! I'll be looking for the 65 and 180 I think and thanks for the SD/S back tip, couldn't find anything online specifically as to compatibility with the Pro S so that's great to know too! Awesome help! thanks again, Bobbi
    I have the 65mm Sekor C and 180mm Sekor C lenses and they're an awesome combination.I occasionally find myself wanting something a little longer - the 250mm APO, but i'm pretty pleased with what i have. The 65mm is simply amazing - love that FOV and the 180mm is great as a short tele or portrait lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you Fmajor... the back is now ordered through KEH and I'm thinking between the 65 and 180 ordering which first lol... probably the 65 to play around with landscapes this winter, then the 180 towards spring for portraits. You guys have all been great help to me, I appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin