Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,207   Online: 965

Shooter
    Multi Format

I need some advice about the focusing screens of my Rolleiflex 2.8D

I recently bought a very clean and perfectly functioning 2.8D and need some advice about the screens. The viewfinder is fixed with four screws and not the quick detachable type of the later models. There is a matt glass screen with a grid and on top of that a plastic fresnel that is in pretty poor shape ... when outside any light that hits the fresnel causes it to flare severely and the camera becomes very hard to focus.

My question is ... what is the best screen solution for this camera. Should I just replace the fresnel ... if so where should I look to buy one?

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Being a cheapskate, I got the one of Rick Oleson's screens for my 2.8D. It was only $30 and is bright enough for me to use the camera indoors, which I couldn't do with an accuracy with the original screen. I've never used a Maxwell screen but for the price difference I'm happy to go on in blissful ignorance with my Oleson screen.

There's a whole host of different grid options and international shipping is free:
    http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html

Adam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keith,
    I agree with aroth87. I've used Rick's screens on a number of tlr's. They have served my needs and my eyesight is not the best. I just put one in my 3.5e. If you later decide that you want to upgrade further, then a Maxwell might be worth considering.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is the plastic piece on the outside of the hood, meaning accessible with hte top lifted? If so, that is called a Rolleigrid, I believe. It was an add-on piece Rollei sold. It can be removed- pull back/down on the center tab at the back of the hood and pry it up from the back edge.

Short of a Maxwell, an Oleson screen is a great improvement. For $30 or so, hard to go wrong. If you want better, the $200 Maxwell will be waiting

EDIT: I was writing while Gerry M was posting his comments, so sorry for the repetition!
    Last edited by Dan Daniel; 11-12-2012 at 10:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    Is the plastic piece on the outside of the hood, meaning accessible with hte top lifted? If so, that is called a Rolleigrid, I believe. It was an add-on piece Rollei sold. It can be removed- pull back/down on the center tab at the back of the hood and pry it up from the back edge.

Short of a Maxwell, an Oleson screen is a great improvement. For $30 or so, hard to go wrong. If you want better, the $200 Maxwell will be waiting

EDIT: I was writing while Gerry M was posting his comments, so sorry for the repetition!

Thanks all for the replies so far.

Hi Dan,

Yes that plastic thingy can be removed from the top through the surround of the finder. So I gather then that if I get a decent focusing screen I wont need the fresnel? It can go in the bin where it belongs!

I've had the lower gridded screen out to give it a clean and that wasn't too difficult so I'll probably take the advice and get an Olsen screen ... I'm not too keen on spending $200.00 at this stage. TLR shooting is still a little new to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am seriously considering getting an Oleson screen for my Mamiya C3. The camera saw a lot of use and the stock screen is now pretty bad.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the link to Rick Olsen's site Adam ... appreciated. Will order one in the next day or so.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin