Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,376   Online: 1094

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is NOTHING wrong with cropping..... In film world, you just raise the enlarger head and project the image larger than the easel will allow you to print, then move the easel to get portion of the image you actually want to put down on paper.

I avoid including too much extraneous stuff when shooting but if I think the image will be improved by excluding something, or change my mind when I see the negs, I will happily crop. There is no need to be that rigid in thinking that all cropping need to be avoided.

For the same token, often times, aspect ratio of the frame doesn't match the aspect ratio of paper, so I inevitably end up cropping something. At other times, I print full frame and leave out the white space.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not saying cropping is wrong or taboo, I know it's done quite often. Just not by me. I'm with Nathan on this. Looking at a square and planning rectangle just doesn't feel right to me. I'm sure that I'm being nonsensical and irrational here, but I'm only human.

I would never dismiss a photograph because it's been cropped, I just don't prefer to do it myself is all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpt2014 View Post
    I'm sure that I'm being nonsensical and irrational here, but I'm only human.
    Go easy on yourself. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and their working method. I'm a chronic cropper but I, guess what, have a tendency to compose for the format I'm shooting. It is human nature, I suppose.

My recco to stick with your Yashika and crop is based entirely on whay you suspected: less gear.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I went from a Minolta Autocord TLR to a Bronica ETRSi, which is 645 SLR, similar to the Mamiya 645. I prefer the 645 aspect ratio. I have both a waist level finder and a prism. For street photos, its unobtrusive to use the waist, but I never do because I like to do verticals, and composing even horizontals quickly with the waist is difficult for me with the image reversed. With the prism on, the camera looks as intimidating to strangers as any big SLR. Another thing no one has mentioned is mirror slap on a med format SLR. It is difficult to hand hold for lower shutter speeds compared to the TLR. I think you are better off for what you want with your TLR.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Cropping - I'm all for it if needed, and sometimes it's needed. For some reason I'm more inclined to crop 35mm to a square or whatever proportion looks good, but with 6X6 I like to keep it square if at all possible, and use the whole negative. Don't know why. :-)

To the OP - the 124G is a great camera - not a toy, but not a Rollei either. If you have some money and want to have some fun then sell the Mat and get a recently CLA'd Rollei. It's still a TLR and the quality is better after all. Your images might improve when you use a better camera, but then again maybe not. And who cares. Just have fun; that's what it's all about with film.

I have a Yashica TLR which I like. Then I got a Hassy and two lenses thinking I would enjoy the better quality glass, the ability to change the lenses, the film backs, etc. Turns out I don't give a hoot about most of that stuff, and I hate the noise and the mirror slapping around in there, so now I'm shooting the Yashica again, and appreciating it for what it is: simple, small, silent, non-vibrating. It really is a nice camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpt2014 View Post
    I'm not saying cropping is wrong or taboo, I know it's done quite often. Just not by me. I'm with Nathan on this. Looking at a square and planning rectangle just doesn't feel right to me. I'm sure that I'm being nonsensical and irrational here, but I'm only human.

I would never dismiss a photograph because it's been cropped, I just don't prefer to do it myself is all.
    You are perfectly normal. A lot of people feel the same way as you.

This actually makes it easy. Do you prefer your final image to be square or rectangular? Buy a camera that fits your preference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want to stick with a TLR go with the 'cord. Otherwise, go with a Hasselblad 500C/M. Its much more versitile, if slightly more complex. They also have 645 backs for it. If you get a 645 only camera, you'll always be wanting that 6x6 option... I have a 124G like you did, and got the Hassy on a spur of the moment decision. It's now my favorite camera, which makes my F6 very sad.

And with regards to the above post... I LOVE the sound of the Hassy shutter

To each their own, but you need to find out what your own is.

A benefit of the Hassy is you can focus much closer, and the viewfinder is extremely bright even with f/4 lenses. Compared to the Yashica WLF, there is no comparison...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post

And with regards to the above post... I LOVE the sound of the Hassy shutter
    hehe, yes I know there's no accounting for my aversion to the Hassy ker-pow when it shoots. :-) You know what sound I really do like with the hassy though - the wonderful sound it makes when you advance to the next frame. It just has that sound of, I don't know, mechanical goodness. It's pretty sweet.

Shooter
    35mm

Stick with 6x6 or try 645?

I got a 'cord Vb last year to upgrade from a Seagull. It's a great camera and quite discreet when out on the street, but the fixed lens is limiting. I am sure, however, that its no better in any respect than your 124G. It also needed the film transport and shutter repaired which cost nearly as much as the camera. Having used the square format regularly now for a year or so, I bought a Bronica SQ to allow me to use various lenses. It is far more precise in its operation than the Rollei, and much more versatile with interchangeable lenses. I agree with other advice; keep using and enjoying your 124G until it breaks, or no longer suits your photography.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Option C) keep the Yashica until it's limiting you in some way. And then look at 6x7

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin