Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,799   Online: 970

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    About cropping - if you're like me and can't see horizontal lines and vertical lines and compose them as straight in the viewfinder, you have to crop. If I printed 90% of my negatives full frame they'd be crooked.
    This is exactly my problem with WLFs, I can never get the horizon level. I even have trouble with the 124G, and it has lines in the viewfinder! I've toyed with the idea of getting bubble levels for those two bodies. Oh well, it just takes practice, I suppose. I have no trouble cropping though. Often I'll only see a better composition when I have the negative in the enlarger.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I'm right there with you, Fred. Photoshop tells me that I apparently lean +/- three degrees or even more on most images - it's like I'm drunk or something, and it makes no difference what camera I use. When I get the horizon level on the negative I almost always print the whole negative just because for once I'm not leaning!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jawarden View Post
    I'm right there with you, Fred. Photoshop tells me that I apparently lean +/- three degrees or even more on most images - it's like I'm drunk or something, and it makes no difference what camera I use. When I get the horizon level on the negative I almost always print the whole negative just because for once I'm not leaning!
    Which way do you lean?

Go to the store and buy some Doctor Scholls inserts. Put one in the shoe of the foot you lean. If it's not enough put the other one in there too.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Which way do you lean?
    . . . and amazingly the patient didn't know one leg was longer than the other until he took up photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jawarden View Post
    I thought it was just me, but interestingly, I do it much more with eye-level cameras than with WLFs. Apparently I lean between 1 and 2 degrees to the right when shooting at eye level! Figuring out which way to adjust with a WLF gets a little confusing, but my eye seems to notice the slant easily enough that at least I *do* fix it, even if I wobble the camera in strange directions for a while first.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I thought it was just me, but interestingly, I do it much more with eye-level cameras than with WLFs. Apparently I lean between 1 and 2 degrees to the right when shooting at eye level! Figuring out which way to adjust with a WLF gets a little confusing, but my eye seems to notice the slant easily enough that at least I *do* fix it, even if I wobble the camera in strange directions for a while first.

-NT
    You guys are lucky. I'm more somewhere between 5 to 15 degrees off with most frames... If a couple of degrees means you're a bit 'under the influence', then I must be completely plastered.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I seem to get a lot of crooked shots with my Pentax LX. I thought it was the camera but when I really take my time and pay careful attention it seems to vanish, but that degree of care isn't necessary with my other 35mm cameras. No problem with the Yashicamat though - the grid lines do the trick.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do it if I think about it too much. If I just stand and shoot it's generally level enough, if I actually worry about it I have to find something vertical to line up on or it'll be eye-hurtingly wonky.

The only problem I have with a WLF is the fact that the image is mirrored, so you instinctively move one way to correct only for the image to go the other way!
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    6x6 because Hasselblad has been telling us for decades that square is the perfect format for photography. And of course I truly believe that because they told me so.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Which way do you lean?

Go to the store and buy some Doctor Scholls inserts. Put one in the shoe of the foot you lean. If it's not enough put the other one in there too.

I shot two or three rolls at Shilshole Bay Marina on Puget Sound with the Mamiya 645 Pro and WLF last year, and every single shot had Puget Sound flowing south at a fairly substantial angle.
    Last edited by flatulent1; 11-13-2012 at 06:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin