Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,101   Online: 1019

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    The problem is that the 645 must be tilted on its side to get portrait orientation...

That is why I got a vintage folding camera -- Kodak Duo. I bought one of those (actually, two... but only one resulted) specifically because it was 645 in portrait-orientation. Besides, it has a mediocre triplet lens that seems quite nice for portraits as long as there is no intent to get close-up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem is that the 645 must be tilted on its side to get portrait orientation, the RB has a rotating back that allows the camera to stay upright. That makes the RB much easier to use than the 645 in portrait orientation.
    I understand, but I rarely shoot in portrait orientation. So I don't value rotating backs very much. That's been a point I've made and I thought I was being clear, guess not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem is that the 645 must be tilted on its side to get portrait orientation, the RB has a rotating back that allows the camera to stay upright. That makes the RB much easier to use than the 645 in portrait orientation.
    Depends on the 645. I'd much rather turn my 645 Pro with its winder grip on its side for a portrait shot than to hand hold an RB. The Pentax with built in grip and the ETR with a grip are probably as good or better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpt2014 View Post
    I understand, but I rarely shoot in portrait orientation. So I don't value rotating backs very much. That's been a point I've made and I thought I was being clear, guess not.
    We've been all around this but correct me if I'm wrong - you've been shooting with a 6x6 and you don't like to crop. So of course you aren't shooting portrait, you're shooting square.

Yes, you were clear about that. But the thread ceases being just about the OP. Other people can find views and opinions that might help them as well, and lots of them do shoot in portrait.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Square isn't all I shoot (hence, I'm a multi format shooter). And so when I do shoot rectangles, it's always in landscape. But point made and fair enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest sticking with your 124G for the time being. You love it. It gives you the WLF you want.
    Buy, use and process lots of film with the money you would spend on a Rollei or 645. Wring out of the 124G everything you can. Watch yourself produce better and better images. After a while you will know for yourself what your next step should be. It might be the Rollei. It might be a Mamiya TLR with interchangeable lenses. It might be a 6x6 SLR like a Hasselblad 500 series or Bronica SQ series.
    As you like a WLF, I don't think a 645 is the answer for you, unless you just shoot horizontals or use a tripod. You could use a 6x7 with WLF and crop to vertical, with a Mamiya RB/RZ 67, or Pentax 67 or Bronica GS-1, or with the Mamiya or Bronica you can use a 6x6 back. But it sounds to me like you should just stick with 6x6.
    Last edited by lxdude; 11-18-2012 at 11:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Beware though, it's nearly impossible to find an affordable quality 6x7 projector. I shoot a lot less chrome now because of that.
    That is the main reason why I have a couple of 6x4.5 backs for my RB67.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with the others. Since you're going to be shooting 6x4.5 and you're already shooting 6x6 you might as well stay with the 6x6 and crop a 4.5 out of it. Plus, you will develop a more intuitive "hand/eye" with YashicaMat - becoming a better photographer as a side benefit.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin