Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,656   Online: 870

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just a word of caution about the old Weston meters - there's a reason they're cheap. It will vary widely from meter to meter, but many of them are using old selenium cells and they are no longer reliable. Any individual meter you may find may be in good working order, or it may be accurate only in relatively bright daylight, or it may be totally insensitive to light. The only way to determine that is to have the meter in your hands and test it. You can easily spend the price of a new electronic meter buying bad or inaccurate Weston meters trying to save a couple of dollars. Not to mention the wasted film. Four or five rolls of slide film and processing and presto, you've just paid for your meter!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Umut

There is a conversion chart from Lux and Candela to EV at http://www.sekonic.com/Support/EVLux...sionChart.aspx. If you search "Exposure Value" on the web you should find out how to set the aperture and shutter speed to get a particular EV reading.

KEH (www.keh.com) has a wide range of used light meters at prices that go down to under US$ 20 - for example an Adorama Analog Meter in EX ("Excellent") condition for US$ 17. I don't know what shipping would cost to your location, though.

Andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Umut I understand the want to be accurate. I'm not suggesting you lower your standards.

What I'm suggesting is that rules like "sunny 16" and exposure tables like those that used to come with every roll of film and the ultimate exposure computer are very accurate, every bit as accurate as a meter. Accurate enough even for working with slide film.

Tables and meters both require building a bit of experience so that you can understand what they are telling you and how to translate that to camera settings.

Neither intrinsically eliminate exposure errors.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mustafa, there are three affordable light meters available new. I'd not mess with a used light meter unless you have a way to check and calibrate it.
    The new meters available are Seconic L208, Gossen Digisix and Voigtlander VC speedmeter. All are less than $150 USD.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you Flying Council, Andrew, Mark again and ic racer.

Wonderful ideas but I can only pay by monthly payment. I know in USA and Europe , everything works with cash but nobody have cash in their pocket here. Homes, cars to bread to lemon goes with credit card and minimum monthly payment.

Keh is extremelly cheap but when it comes to their UPS , it starts from 65 dollars here. I think I must listen Mark and read and use his text. He is very experienced and not to listen him is foolish.

I am downgrading my ideals and learn to live with DIY errors. Its winter time , there is %30 increase in gas prices and we pay 180 dollars a month. It sucks the money really. Our salary and use goes neck to neck.

Now its time to find 120 film online in Istanbul. I have D76 from canadian friend , I even forgot his name and fixer.

I will post the results in two weeks.

Thank you very much Everyone ! You are great!

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi Umut. I am surprised at the UK price for the Shepperd.I thought this item was a 3rd choice as far as light meters go. Also, 120 film, have you thought to try Shanghai GP3? It is better than just OK and you can get out of Taiwan [ i think, e-bay of course including shipping at about US 40.00 for 10 rolls. The film pushes well to 200 and I have got good results at 400.
    Of course good results are subjective.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Wonderful ideas but I can only pay by monthly payment. I know in USA and Europe , everything works with cash but nobody have cash in their pocket here. Homes, cars to bread to lemon goes with credit card and minimum monthly payment."

LOL! Nothing new there! I put 4L of soy milk on my credit card yesterday. The night before was a roast chook. I don't carry cash at all.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you have a smartphone (particularly an Android one) then try a light meter app first.

I use the BeeCam one on my HTC, it's an incident meter and seems pretty effective assuming you know how to use it (you need to make sure that the light level falling on the meter is the same as that falling on the subject). It worked fine in woodland with uneven lighting, both heavy overcast and sunlight (different days).

I've used it with both the Zeiss Ikon and the Bronica ETR now, no exposure problems with either.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    LOL! Nothing new there! I put 4L of soy milk on my credit card yesterday. The night before was a roast chook. I don't carry cash at all.
    What's cash?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    What's cash?

Sorry, but I don't see any cash. All I see is plastic fantastic...
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin