Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,541   Posts: 1,572,772   Online: 910

Shooter
    Multi Format

Problem with Mamiya 645 AFD winding film

Hi

I just buyed a used Mamiya 645 AFD with a film back and a 80mm lens.
    I made a test shoot with 2 rolls of Fuji 400H 120 film. I ordered contact sheets and I found a problem: The camera winds film loosing the first 3 frames in both rolls. Then it begins taking pictures starting with "1" in the film counter. So...when I make the "12" picture... the film just finishes but the camera allows me to take 16 pictures... I just lost the final 4.
    In the attachment you can see a yellow rectangle showing the lost 3 first frames and a green rectangle showing the last picture... just cut because the roll finished there.
    Any ideas to solve this problem? The camera is supposed to have a film sensor which detect the beginning of the film when the back is inserted and the first winding starts. Is it failing?

thanks

Ernesto
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CS-Mamiya645.jpg  
    Neto G.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you advancing the film manually to the "start" mark before closing the back?

If so, you aren't doing the right thing, because the camera does that for you once the dark slide is removed.

From the manual: "gently insert the leader paper tip into the groove on the empty spool that is on the “SPL” side, and turn the
    spool one or two turns to wrap the leader tape around it."
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No. I don´t advance to the Start mark. Just two turns until I feel the film is secure in the spool.
    Neto G.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by netog View Post
    No. I don´t advance to the Start mark. Just two turns until I feel the film is secure in the spool.
    That's not right either. There should be an arrow on the insert to line up the arrow marks on the backing paper.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    That's not right either. There should be an arrow on the insert to line up the arrow marks on the backing paper.
    Not for the AFD - it is supposed to speed up loading by sensing the beginning of the film automatically.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any ideas to solve this problem?
    Neto G.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin