Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,454   Online: 881

Shooter
    Medium Format

6.2v battery with Pentax 67?

I'm (still) trying to figure out why the mirror sticks on my Pentax 67, which I'd sent off to Asahi Photo LTD in London and then again when the problem persisted. The invoice states 'Mirror box/shutter overhaul' and I find it perplexing that the problem wasn't fixed. I was told on the phone that he'd ran several rolls of film through the camera (ten I think he said - I'm sure dummy rolls) and the mirror hadn't stuck for him. For me, it sticks almost without exception on the first frame, then randomly, usually at least twice more throughout a roll.

Something that I'd thought nothing of until now is that I'm using Energizer 544 Silver Oxide 6.2v batteries. Could this .2v be keeping the mirror up? The mirror is released eventually, after turning the speed dial several times, but released straight away when taking the battery out. Most threads online only list 6v batteries for the 67, so I'm wondering if that tiny bit of extra voltage is holding the mirror in place. I don't know the first thing about electronics, but when I bought the batteries I'd assumed an extra .2v would be negligible, but perhaps this is only the case with certain devices/cameras...

However, as I'd left the battery in when sending the camera for repair, it seems strange that he would take it out and use his own. I still don't understand why the mirror hadn't stuck for him.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sticky MLU button? Accidently activating MLU button?
    -Fred

Shooter
    35mm
    I doubt that battery voltage has anything to do with the problem. Battery that is rated at 6V would generally put out a little bit more than 6V when fresh any way.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would try another battery and clean the contact if I were you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm using a Varta V28PX 6.2v battery in mine. If you press the battery check button and the light goes on, then the battery is fine.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shutter sticking too?

Is the shutter sticking open too, or is it just the mirror?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Both the shutter and mirror stay up. The frames are 'lost' due to overexposure.

I've sent an email to Eric Hendrickson who told me to clean the release selenoid. I'd like to open up the camera myself - the quandary has become irritating and I feel like a helpless housewife with a broken hoover. If anyone could advise about taking the 67 apart and, since I'm expecting a whole universe of mechanisms in there, where exactly the selenoid is?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From what you just said I conclude that it is no good idea to attempt to repair it yourself.
    Even having quite some expertise on fine-mechanics did not save me from spoiling some things. My advice is to give it to a repair shop. I understand though that with your camera twice having been at a repair shop in vain does not encourage you to try that again.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, from what I've read the release solenoid may be the problem. It may need to be degaussed (demagnetized). Best done by an expert.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin