Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,137   Online: 1031

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are you using it professioanlly or as a hobbest?

Replcae the seal, use it to death n enjoy the hell out of it. It's a good deal regardless of fungi n all that nonsence. That is a great camera and you wil find out why soon enough. That soft focus lens is a PIA to focuse since it has to be done at ƒ8 in order to see sharpness. The preview is a sticky type so you can leave it in the preview mode untill you are readu top shot then flip it over n set your stop to ƒ4 for max glow or stop down one to reduce the glow a bit.

The other discs allow you to use it at other stop downs without actually stopping down the iris.. but you loose some of hte glow that way as well.

Get a 90mm ofr general use, a 180 for portraits and the 50 is an amzing lens every RB owner should have to say his kit is complete.. it is awsome.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well....

Since you bought it and it's all yours, of course it's a good deal.... Now that you bought a kit, you'll find it elsewhere cheaper but that's besides the point. Stick a film in it and see what you get. You might have some light leak issues and that's not unusual. You can buy a seal kit from Jon Goodman (who is a member here) and you can do it yourself.

I'm a bit concerned about the fungus if that is indeed fungus. It can eat the coating and etch permanent mark on surface. You might want to bring it to someone to get checked out. Just keep in mind, you can buy that lens relatively inexpensively from KEH and elsewhere if repair cost is going to be high.

Seriously, don't worry any more about the deal. It's already yours. Enjoy it and get the most out of it.

That's what I intend to do with my RB-SD.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NZed View Post
    KEH?

Keh.com

Best used camera seller on the web, and the standard by which used gear is measured.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    KEH?
    Yup at KEH, the body from their website for $149, lens from their ebay site for $149 and a 'BGN' back for $50.

I was so surprised about the BGN back, it thought it was going to come looking like it came out of a blender or something, but it looks practically new! There is only minor marking on the batter cover, and seems to be light tight.

I just had to be patient and wait for the right stuff to come up....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could check out KEH. You could replace the seals and you have a great camera. It is worth it

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Kubach; 11-16-2012 at 12:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grantlyd View Post
    I just had to be patient and wait for the right stuff to come up....
    This is how it seems to be all the time for camera and darkroom gear. If you're in no hurry but keep actively searching, really good stuff will show up at really good prices.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format

I replaced my seals with felt from Wal-Mart

I had two Pro S's at one time and replaced the seals in both with a pad of black felt (really sort of like cloth) that I bought at Wal-Mart. I dug out the gooey stuff and cut narrow strips with my haircut scissors and jammed it down in the trough of the backs. You can find a drawing on the net of where it goes. I sold one of the cameras and I have used the other for a couple years with no problems. As for the fungus amoung us, it depends on how much you have. A little around the edge will probably not be a problem. If you are handy, you can probably take the lens apart and clean it yourself if it is bad. What do you have to lose? (Well, other than a few springs and maybe ball bearings.) Just don't dig into the shutter and you will probably be okay. My cameras had the 127 lens and that or a 90 are the most common. You can probably find .pdf files on repairing the lense as there are files on repairing the whole camera out there for free. Have fun and enjoy it. Ric.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well guess what guys! The fungus i suspected is NOT fungus!

I tried wiping off with lens cloth and it didnt work so i thought it was fungus. But then i just risked it and used my nails(yes my nails) on the lens and it came out!. Very clean lens!

Thank god its not fungus!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    GREAT! Now go shoot!

By the way.... fungus usually happens on inner element where you cannot reach. They will wipe off with the usual lens cleaner but when it gets bad enough, it will take the multi-coating with it. You'll probably need new seal so my suggestion will be to just test with one roll and see what you get.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well guess what guys! The fungus i suspected is NOT fungus!

I tried wiping off with lens cloth and it didnt work so i thought it was fungus. But then i just risked it and used my nails(yes my nails) on the lens and it came out!. Very clean lens!

Thank god its not fungus!
    YAaaa!!!! I'm happy for you! Yes, you have a good deal there (especially since you don't have to replace the lens). They are great cameras to use and i hope you make and enjoy hundreds of beautiful images with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin