Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,559   Posts: 1,573,292   Online: 945

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Can someone explain 70mm film please?

Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    Attachment 60342

This is from the Hewes website. I think they're just for spirals and the previous poster was mistaken. Anyone know how they work?

Daniel.
    First the ones on the site say specifically 35mm only? Or I remember reading that.

Secondly I don't seem to understand what "for spirals" means... Aren't all developing spools spirals? Am I missing something?

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They're for transferring exposed film from the cartridge to the spiral, i.e. they are spiral loaders. They are not bulk loaders for transferring unexposed film from the bulk spool into the cartridge.

You can see in that picture several sizes - note the widths of the film tracks (the flat bit of metal) and the diameters of the little cartridge-holding sections.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    They're for transferring exposed film from the cartridge to the spiral, i.e. they are spiral loaders. They are not bulk loaders for transferring unexposed film from the bulk spool into the cartridge.

You can see in that picture several sizes - note the widths of the film tracks (the flat bit of metal) and the diameters of the little cartridge-holding sections.
    Thanks, I was confused before, haha got it now, and yay! Can't wait to find out the prices... I'm now inspired again about 70mm

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thank you for correcting me (post #8)!
    I never saw these before and thought they were intended for darkroom spooling bulk film onto cartridge reels.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Found this: developing 70mm in unmodified Paterson. Shorter lengths, obviously. I just tried the exact same arrangement on a couple of Jobo 25xx spirals and the gap between them is... 70mm.

So at least I know I can shoot & soup 220 lengths without a special tank.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great Information!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Found this: developing 70mm in unmodified Paterson. Shorter lengths, obviously. I just tried the exact same arrangement on a couple of Jobo 25xx spirals and the gap between them is... 70mm.

So at least I know I can shoot & soup 220 lengths without a special tank.
    I thought I had mentioned that 116 spools would fit 70mm?

Well glad you found a video that's neat

~Stone

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Neither Paterson nor Jobo refer to type116/70mm for their current reels. So that trick above adds to their compatibility.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Neither Paterson nor Jobo refer to type116/70mm for their current reels. So that trick above adds to their compatibility.
    Oh man I fail...

If you hadn't said that I wouldn't have gone back wondering what you meant and watched the video again... Or rather THROUGH... I had only watched the beginning, skipped to the middle, and realized he had reversed that end which I hadn't seen the first time...

I actually tried this without the second side at the bottom and it failed so I gave up on that haha I was so close!

Anyway I actually found a 116 reel that is self loading, I had already bought one 116 tank that sucked and would load from center but it was plastic so it was a pain staying in the track. Then found a self loading one.

I'm keeping the other one though bedside it's adjustable and I can do 110 in it I think.. At least I can do advantix for sure.. Though I'm sure it will be a PITA lol

Thanks polyglot

~Stone

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Had a reply from Jobo on 70mm x 5m

"Dear Daniel,
    thank you for your mail.
    In the moment we did not have this spiral but it could be in 6 or 9 month.
    We have some customer wich asking this spiral.
    My be ask in some time again."

Sounds interesting.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin