Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,827   Online: 1046

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Can someone explain 70mm film please?

Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    Richards of Hulls, film process sink lines, nitrogen burst systems.. God save the Queen!

http://www.richards.uk.com

Attachment 60390
    Attachment 60391
    I'm confuse this does not look like a round daylight loading tank the size of one 70mm spiral, I thought that's what hulls had?

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by laser View Post
    There are many reasons that 120 and 220 were very popular formats for professional photographers but 70mm was not. 70mm was successful for applications that absolutely required a large number of exposures i.e. 70 and had the extensive engineering support necessary to keep it running. Examples are NASA/military/scientific applications and mass portrature.

120/220 is far better suited to satisfy the needs of photographers. Photograpers have an enormous number of variables to deal with when preparing for shoots and making photographs. 70mm adds unneeded complexity. Mechcanically the magazines are not robust. They require a great deal of attention if they are to be reused and daylight loaded. NASA used modified mags that were darkroom loaded by qualified technicians.

120/220 has the advantage of film that is factory spooled in a clean humidity controlled environment that is momentarily exposed to the environment when reaches the exposing film plane. Camera interface and film processing problems are very rare.

70mm has many opportunities for problems unless the equipment and materials are carefully maintained and used.

Bob
    I'm learning this the hard way...

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm confuse this does not look like a round daylight loading tank the size of one 70mm spiral, I thought that's what hulls had?

~Stone

I gave you a link to there website, dig around! They sell hundreds of things. I'm thinking their tank is this;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3f.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	60417

Though they may have a round one. I'll wait till they all get back to me.

Daniel.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    I gave you a link to there website, dig around! They sell hundreds of things. I'm thinking their tank is this;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3f.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	60417

Though they may have a round one. I'll wait till they all get back to me.

Daniel.
    Square wastes too much developer, my "tank" us EXACTLY the right size, the spiral reel fits snugly in the round tank and I can measure exactly 1/2 gallon if developer into it to cover the film. I would expect an official 70mm daylight tank to be the same considering how much developer is used per spool.

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Square wastes too much developer, my "tank" us EXACTLY the right size, the spiral reel fits snugly in the round tank and I can measure exactly 1/2 gallon if developer into it to cover the film. I would expect an official 70mm daylight tank to be the same considering how much developer is used per spool.

~Stone

If you find yourself frequently concerned with wasting developer, you should seriously investigate incorporating a replenishment routine into your workflow.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    If you find yourself frequently concerned with wasting developer, you should seriously investigate incorporating a replenishment routine into your workflow.
    I would if I understood how it worked, I never understood replenishment, isn't it just the same stuff as the regular developer? Or is it different somehow?

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would if I understood how it worked, I never understood replenishment, isn't it just the same stuff as the regular developer? Or is it different somehow?

~Stone

Depends on the developer.

If you use X-Tol, the developer is it's own replenisher.

You mix up 5 litres of developer from the package, and then divide it into at least two containers - a working solution container that is at least as large as your largest developing tank and then one or more containers for the rest - it will be used for replenishment.

Each time you develop film, while the film is being developed, you put 70 ml of the replenisher into your working solution container for each 80 square inches of film being developed (a standard 120 or 135-36 roll of film is equivalent to 80 square inches). Then when the development is finished, you pour the developer back into the working solution container. There will be some excess, which you discard.

The developer activity will vary slightly at first, but once it stabilizes, it gives results that many consider better than one-shot.

Over time, you may wish to experiment with slightly more or slightly less replenishment. And if you use unusually sized films (like 70 mm) you will need to calculate how many square inches of film are involved and adjust the replenishment amount accordingly.

Once you use up the balance of the 5 litre package, you just mix the next one, and use all of it for replenishing.

One 5 litre package will provide replenisher for about 70 rolls. Thus, this is best suited to those who shoot 70 or more rolls each 6 months.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Replenished Development, using Xtol as the example.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What he said. That is what I have used for years.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Thanks guys! How do you calculate for time? Like if I only develop twice a month or something.

~Stone

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin