Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,419   Online: 731

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Value of the 635?

YAYYY for sprockets! LOL

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I hope the camera is a winner for you.... I'm totally in love with mine. Even the one that doesn't work.... they're just so damn pretty!

(Yeah, yeah, I know, not what a guy looks for in a camera... but it's about three days past my bedtime so ditziness must be excused!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Visible sprockets = film that may not be as flat = uneven/inaccurate focus

But hope that you have fun with it anyways
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Value of the 635?

Uneven/inaccurate focus in some photos, is like the knots in pine wood floors... It adds character! LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So I went to pick up the camera. Overall, it looks to be in REALLY good shape. There are really only a few things that I can find slightly less than satisfactory at this point:

- The shutter sticks on bulb a little, otherwise all other speeds seem accurate.
    - The shutter release button sticks a little, sometimes I kind of have to pull it out.
    - There are only two or three specks of paint loss on the viewing window door.
    - One side of the fork for the 35mm adapter is broken, however I tested it with an empty 35mm case and it still works fine.

All the shutter speeds aside from bulb seem to be accurate. The M/X sync switch moves freely. The self timer works. The shutter speed knob moves freely, as does the aperture knob, and the window that shows both is in tact and clear. All other knobs move freely as well. The inside is clean as a whistle too. It came with the original leather case, that still has the original Yashica satchel full of silica gel, as well as the original 635 manual too.

And as a bonus, I got a roll of Kodak Ektar "Special" that has been exposed and sealed. This guy and his father who originally owned the camera are sailors and as employment they delivered sailing vessels all over the world. I'm hoping that SOMETHING comes out when I send this up to the Darkroom for devloping.

Anyway, here are some pics. I think it was worth the price of $100.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yash10.jpg   Yash1.jpg   yash9.jpg   yash8.jpg   yash7.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yash5.jpg   yash6.jpg   yash4.jpg   yash3.jpg   Yash2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yash11.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Congrats on the purchase. My 635 was my first experience with MF; got it back in April.

Just a heads up -- there's a little knob on the left side that has something to do with the 35mm loading side. All it does on mine is make a dark shadow on my negatives, even when I remember to pull it out and rotate it (there's a little tooth in it that's supposed to line up). I can't figure out if I'm just doing it wrong, but I always forget to check, or bump it (it's spring loaded, so it'll go back to the Mess-Up-Negatives position).

Not sure if there's anything that can be done about it. Mine always gets in the way -- I might look into filing it back a bit or something...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Congratulations on your new Yash, Christopher. I hope you have a blast playing with it.
    I'm also looking forward to hearing if the exposed roll came out and what, if anything, was on it. I LOVE discovering old rolls of exposed film. They're like time capsules just waiting to be unearthed. It's particularly good that you know who the photos belong to and can share the results with them. The few rolls of exposed film I've developed from old cameras are of completely unknown heritage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 635 isn't a great camera but it sure is a lot of fun. The 80mm lens for 135 shooting does a quite presentable job for a portrait lens. It's not an 85mm Nikor but what is? Only issue is you really can only shoot portrait, landscapes in 135 don't work real well.

tim in sanjose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin