Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,290   Online: 853

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Hasselblad SWC/M - micro scratches

I read an older article on photo.net that discusses micro-scratching on some pre 903 models of the SWC/M. Is this something that can be repaired ? I bought the camera new in the early 90s, does Hasselblad still service the camera ?

http://photo.net/medium-format-photo...0IWrc?start=10

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Slim... IDK if Hassy services them, but there are repair shops who do... like Steve's Camera Repair in Culver City, CA.

http://www.stevecamera.com/service.html

Shooter
    Medium Format

Would an independant repair shop like Steve's camera be able to remove scratches from a lens ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know. I actually doubt it but call them. They usually answer the phone on the second ring. I really don't think it is that much to worry about, though... especially if you are using a lens hood.

mcd

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Do you have problems with your images? I would just close my eyes and not look for the scratch if you don't. It cannot be fixed or re-polished by Hasselblad. Also, the older C type lenses are running out of spare parts. I wouldn't take the chance. If you saw the condition of the glass on the commercial Ektars I used in the early 1980's at a catalog studio, you would have been horrified. The chromes looked fantastic...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't noticed anything yet but I'd like to avoid any potential problems - my SWC is my work horse - I would be lost without it It aslo has sentimental value...

mcd

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a SWC/M (C type lens) with a scratch. You can barely see it. I cannot see any indication of it when I look at the film, but knowing it's there pisses me off. I wish I never looked for it.
    You can always look for a used 503 SWC if you are worried.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why don't you find someone with a pristine SWC relatively close to you to test your SWC against his? Take good film and a stable tripod with you and do an A/B test, photographing scenes with both the Sun and shaded areas in it at various apertures. I bet you won't see a difference (unless the light changes between shots), or if you will, yours will be the one with more contrast and less flare...
    Last edited by Aron; 11-21-2012 at 05:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This link was posted a couple of days ago in another thread, it should put your mind at ease;

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008...ment-scratches

If the scratches really are "micro", along the line of "cleaning marks" it will affect what someone pays you for the camera, but it won't affect the pictures you make. A lens hood may be a good idea though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fatso View Post
    I haven't noticed anything yet but I'd like to avoid any potential problems - my SWC is my work horse - I would be lost without it It aslo has sentimental value...
    Then do not worry about it. I have a 903 SWC and it is a great camera with optics that I could only dream about before the digital revolution.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin