Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,504   Online: 949

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thinking about a GX680

Hello,

Christmas is coming so I think some "new" photo gear is in order!!! So I was looking at adding something bigger than 6x6 and I found that the GX680 is available in rather good prices nowadays. A few questions as I look into this in more detail:

As far as I can tell batteries are easily available for these, right?
    Also, I read that most of the differences between the I/II/III models are cosmetic so in that case I might as well get a cheaper I or II model...?

The purpose of this camera is to basically spend some mone...errrrm get something with movement for still-life, food stills and setup portraits. Would it be an appropriate system for that or should I look into something else? At the moment my main system is my Hasselblad which is fantastic but I'd like to move up to something bigger. The Fuji seems to do that without having to deal with sheet film.

Any particular lenses that would be best suited for still/portraits? I don't expect to be buying a 2nd lens for it any time soon after the initial purchase.

Anything else that should keep me away from this? Should I just be looking at large format instead...?

Thanks!
    500ELX, 80CB
    RB67 SD, 65KL, 90KL, 127KL, 250KL
    Nikonos V, 35/2.5

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I agree, theyre real bargains at the moment. Ive never used one either, but check this out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	60036

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would dearly love to get one myself. I'd also like to have a Bentley, date a supermodel, own an island in the Aegean... If it's just about blowing the money, do it, you'll love it. Otherwise you might consider a 4x5 with a roll film back. I don't think there's a significant difference between the results from a Hasselblad and the results from a GX680, especially if you're mounting Fujinon lenses on both.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They sure are big cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The version I and II power up from a nicad pack (most needing re-cel by now) or by the rare AA battery clip. The model III could run off CR123's mounted in the camera base or with a type III AA battery clip. A type III battery clip can be modified to work on the first two bodies. Backs are interchangeable between the systems but are slightly different Type III backs are all the same, the inserts are either 120 or 220. The original backs are 120 or 220 but the inserts are the same. The type III and IIIN backs with the III body and M series lens will imprint shutter speed and f-stop and other data in the rebate area.

For table top, get the extended wideangle bellows and the 40mm or 80mm extension rails. You'll never want to take them off the camera!

The 180mm f3.2 is a great portrait lens. This setup is way easier to use than a 4X5 with roll film back as there is no lag time from focusing to shooting.

It's a heavy beast (I tried hand holding it, just once!), but a smooth and easy to operate machine. All the knobs and buttons are well laid out. Sometimes I wish I still had one, but I'm a lazy shooter (don't like tripods)!

Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also the type III and IIIN backs would accept a mask to change the format. Fuji made 645, 6x6, 6x7 masks and appropriate groundglass for the camera. Inserting the mask in the back would depress a button telling the back which format mask was in place and it would adjust frame spacing accordingly.

Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Really great camera.

Prices are well down at the moment, I had a Mk2 and a Mk3, the Mk3 is the better camera. I noticed yesterday that the 125mm f5.6 is available new for under £100 from Japan as well as many other accessories.

Be warned though, my purchase of a GX680 led to 4x5, 5x7 and lately 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all very much for the information. I am a bit worried about the battery situation now so I think I'll look for a III and maybe bigger formats, 6x9 or sheet.
    500ELX, 80CB
    RB67 SD, 65KL, 90KL, 127KL, 250KL
    Nikonos V, 35/2.5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    I am a bit worried about the battery situation.
    If you have a Batteries Plus, I wouldn't worry about it. They replaced the NiCd cells in my Canon MA motor drive with NiMH cells for $40, and the same for my Rolleiflex SLX pack for $28.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin