Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,011   Online: 963

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

220 film dimensions/specification (ISO732)

Hi all,

I'm considering making a loader to slit 70mm film down and spool to 220 for use in my RZ. While Mamiya sells a 70mm back, the price (plus Adapter-G) is silly money - like $450 - and that's before I even get developing tanks/spirals.

Can anyone please tell me:
    - are the spools the same diameter as 120, i.e. can I spool onto my huge collection of 120 spools?
    - what is the official width and length of a 220 film?
    - how long are the leader and trailer papers?
    - how much overlap should there be between film and paper?

I could probably figure it out by inspection of a 120 roll but it'd be good to know the official numbers. Worst case I can spool to 120 I guess.

Alternative question: will a Linhof Cine-Rollex (being Graflok) mate cleanly to a Mamiya Adapter-G?

thanks...

Shooter
    35mm
    Do you already have the 70 mm film? If not where are you buying it from?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Best thing would be to take apart a few 220 rolls. Should be easy to get the dimensions from that.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    You will need 70mm unperforated film for it. With perforated, inside distance between sprocket is 60mm. It's fine with 120/220 cameras but it's tricky for loading (in my case) Paterson reels and that 1 mm make difference. Last summer I made few rolls of 120 from 70mm and by my opinion it's not worth effort unless you have some special emulsion or you don't have anything smarter to do. Making 220 is even harder than 120. YMMV

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Guys guys guys... 70mm is the same size as 116... (polyglot I mentioned this in another thread you are reading).
    So just buy an old rotary tank that accepts 116, no work measuring and cutting, it just fits...

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Sorry I didn't fully read... Well you can always spool it onto 116/616 spools and shoot old folders and box cameras that are 116/616 in size (like me).

Also you can get cheaper 70mm backs... I'll sell my hassleblad 70mm back for $150. I think I got my 70mm mamiya for $300, you kist have to be diligent in searching.

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Polyglot wants to homebuild type 220 from 70mm film, that is why he is asking for specifications.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Sounds insane, too much cutting lol

My only suggestion is they make a cloth cutter for people who make hook rugs, could find one with the 5mm distance blade and cut off the perf evenly on both sides, you just crank away and it feeds/pulls the cloth along as it cuts, not sure if it could be modified for film but it's possible.

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I can answer at least one of polyglot's questions .

The 120 and 220 spools are identical. If they weren't, you wouldn't be able to use the empty spool from a just exposed 220 roll as your next take-up spool.

And proceeding now to some guesses....

There is a small amount of excess film on each end of a 120 roll. If you double the length of a 120 roll, you will end up with twice the amount of that excess - I would guess that you only need that excess once

And as for the length of the leader and the trailer, you can probably use the same lengths of "leader and trailer as a roll of 120 has.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So there isn't 61mm of useful film between the perforations? That kind of ruins the plan.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin