Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,665   Online: 905

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tim, you better should have a look at when your camera was manufactured. We are talking about war struck Europe.
    Even in Germany, here often praised for their cameras, camera industry was just starting to evolve again.

If you had a look at what common people were offered and could afford in Germany you would see a lot of "crap".
    Europe was not Kodachrome-Wonderland.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    Just remember you are talking about an Italian camera made out of recycled American airframe aluminum. I have a 127 model and yes, it's a piece of crap. I would say it looks nice on the shelf but it doesn't. Seems like a waste of film shooting 3x4.5 on 120 film. Take a couple of pics, document it, put them in the book and retire that poor bastard child.

tim in san jose

Wow! The Yashica 635 isn't a good camera, the Bencini isn't worth the space it takes up.... I'd hate to see what you have to say about my Hasselblad, Nikons, and Kodak Brownies.

Perhaps you should have another cup of coffee?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw a Bencini Koroll this morning (in a shop), there wasn't a price tag on it but the seller's other items are too pricey. They certainly don't win prizes for design and ergonomics but they do have a curious appeal in a weird funky way.

You need to tell us how you get bon with it.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    Wow! The Yashica 635 isn't a good camera, the Bencini isn't worth the space it takes up.... I'd hate to see what you have to say about my Hasselblad, Nikons, and Kodak Brownies.

Perhaps you should have another cup of coffee?
    Excuse me. I never said the 635 wasn't a good camera. I like mine. The post you obliviously looked at states that the camera is best at portraits and not landscapes in 135 mode because OF THE POSITIONING OF THE FILM! Try taking landscape pictures with a TLR sideways. Damn.

The Bencini is a piece of crap. And yes, I know the history of it, remanufactured from downed and abandoned american airplanes. And I know what Europe was like for 15 years after the war. Done my research, spent my time in Europe, even lived with survivors of the second world war. The camera is still a piece of crap. What I said about the Bencini is take a couple pictures, put them in a book, and put the camera away because there are better things to shoot with. Life is too short.

If you are comparing your shooters with the Bencini, then perhaps you need to get better quality or take care of them better. When i shoot, I shoot FM2, RB67, and these days, my V8. We all went through the shoot old crappy camera phases, it seems romantical. But seriously, the Zorki, the Nettars, the 635, the 127s... belong on a shelf.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excuse me. I never said the 635 wasn't a good camera.

Yes you did.

The 635 isn't a great camera but it sure is a lot of fun. The 80mm lens for 135 shooting does a quite presentable job for a portrait lens. It's not an 85mm Nikor but what is? Only issue is you really can only shoot portrait, landscapes in 135 don't work real well.

tim in sanjose

I just found it funny that both of your posts were cast in a negative light. Why bother shooting if you can't have fun? All you did was point out the negative aspects of each.

I enjoy shooting "crap cameras made from disassembled American airplanes." They're fun, especially when they are highly inaccurate. Doesn't mean I enjoy the Hassy or the F100 any less.

And downed and abandoned American airplanes huh? That's news to me and quite interesting. I might have to go research that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No I didn't. I said it wasn't a great camera. Good does not equal great.

If you think a 635 is a great camera, more power to you. Good enough lens, crappy shutter, fun design with the 135 insert. Not worth shooting for 120 film. At the cost of 120 professional equipment today, shoot the best you can. Rb67s are dirt cheap and 50 times better than that Yashica.

Just my opinion. My time being more valuable as I get older, the time I spend shooting film is spent with the best equipment I can afford. These days, that's usually 8x10.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats! My question wasn't how much was your time worth, or how crappy are crappy cameras though.

My question was, how do you properly advance half frame cameras to provide even spacing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post

My question was, how do you properly advance half frame cameras to provide even spacing?
    Sometimes you have to sacrifice a roll of film to find out, it's the only camera manufacturer to use 120 film in this way, and you do have the links to the manual.

While I can't disagree with Tim that it's essentially a crap camera that was the standard of very basic entry level cameras in the 50's and early 60's and your camera has better features than some Kodak cameras of the time, which while bettert built may have been slightly inferior in terms of the resulting images.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How do you advance half frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Sometimes you have to sacrifice a roll of film to find out...

Unfortunately you are very right. And so I did. I went outside a blew a few more frames and rolled over the last 12 frames.

In fact my assumption was correct. Frame number in the first window, then frame number in the second window, and you get spacing like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353971692.002083.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	60324

Before I figured it out, I ran a few together yesterday, and didn't get spacing at all.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353971740.445116.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	60325

I'd have to say that I like this half frame effect. Essentially I get a 6x4.5 negative, so I could still get fairly nice enlargements if I wanted two photos in one. Could be nice for some art projects, especially detail shots.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353971847.825048.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	60326

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Christopher:
    I think the things that confound some of us the most about the camera are:
    1) the camera "throws away" about 1/4 of the usable area on each 120 roll of film - a strip about 1.5 wide and the entire length of the roll; and
    2) the film gate looks like it is designed to ensure problems with film flatness on 120 film (whereas it probably would work well with 127 film).

As an interesting oddity worthy of collection or experimenting with, it seems fine.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin