Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,787   Online: 895

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

How to develop 116 / 70mm film using Paterson reels without any modification to reels

Check out my video on how to load 116 film onto regular ol' Paterson reels. No dremeling or glueing required. Please feel free to ask any questions about 116/70mm film. I've spent the last two years mastering 116 film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9REyP3gLjo

I'm working on a 116 film photo book. I have the supplies to make and develop my own rolls of 116 film.

Please subscribe to my channel. I'll soon be doing a Kickstarter for my book and be giving away some cameras to my youtube subscribers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice work!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi - I reckon it was your video I posted a reply to last night. There's this 70mm thread that started me looking and I've posted a link to your video there.

Assuming you're buying unperf 70mm bulk rolls, what are you using to spool the film off them to your cartridges? Do you have a commercial 70mm bulk loader or are you doing it in the dark with something handmade?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It was you! and yup it's my video.

I don't have a bulk loader. I just load it in the dark. I made a crank that I put on the film canister. Respooling 116 film is easier though. 116 film uses less film and I'm getting pretty good at it.
    http://filmphotog.blogspot.com/ my blog

Please visit my film photography youtube channel and subscribe:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great idea, djgeorgie. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great idea.

It occurs to me that if you used a taller tank and either a clip or a custom fitted tube over the central tube, you could ensure that the two sides of the 116 reel don't separate.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Found this: developing 70mm in unmodified Paterson. Shorter lengths, obviously. I just tried the exact same arrangement on a couple of Jobo 25xx spirals and the gap between them is... 70mm.
    That seems great, but I just got the idea that it may not work that well with the Jobo 2502 reel (the standard reel from their 2500 system): the Paterson system got a true ratchet system, with all standard Jobo reels one must do that ratchet action by means of fingers. In that trick however the finger sink of the inner reel (to be used) would be somewhat blocked by the lower reel.

I haven't got that reel at hand now, so I can't check whether that one rebate is still accessible enough for easy spooling.
    Last edited by AgX; 11-28-2012 at 02:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do the ratcheting with my fingers on the outside of the spools, not the edges; I don't see a problem with this arrangement. Most of the time I just push the film into the spiral and it slides right in with no ratcheting required at all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually the inner funnel puts just enough pressure onto the top reel so that it cant separate. If using a taller tank with 2 70mm modded reels, I'd probably use some type of spring clamp to hold everything in place
    http://filmphotog.blogspot.com/ my blog

Please visit my film photography youtube channel and subscribe:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks good. Any similarly easy solutions for 110 film???
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin