Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,656   Online: 760

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cokin vs. Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've generally found Cokin filters to be fine. I use coloured ones for black and white on my RB67 and 35mm, red, orange, green and also infra-red. The grads are supposed to be a bit iffy, not neutral, so I have Lee for those, thought they are expensive and I think there was a bit of a waiting-list for them. The Lee holders are pretty good, and you can get wide-angle adaptors for them which makes the holder stand out less far from the end of the lens reducing the issue of vignetting. The self-supporting lens hoods are good too. I would say if it's an occasional use of filters, Cokin is great, you can pick up a holder and a pile of filters for next to nothing and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a quality difference on the print. Lee is an investment, but it's a good quality product, hence the price, and I think many people buy into it on the strength of the reputation of their grads.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all for your replies.
    Thank you Mike for the swatch book information.
    Thank you Smith. I will sell some of my 80 lenses and buy some filters.

Images
    3 of my Cokin filters were optically F***ed. Go with Lee.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Does anyone have experience with the Cokin Z pro holder. It seems to be somewhat comparable to the Lee holder and cost slightly less than the Lee foundation kit. Any 4x4 or 4x6 should fit either the Cokin or Lee.

Also, does anyone have any experience with filters from Cavision? They are glass 4x4 and 4x6 filters, at a reasonably lower price than the Lee filters. Found them on BH.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    3 of my Cokin filters were optically F***ed.
    Care to elaborate?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I forgot to mention I shoot B&W only. A color cast is ok.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    At some square filters prices screw-in's do not look that expensive anymore.

the Hitech line, as someone suggested is not that expensive:
    http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filt...s-filters.aspx
    Last edited by jsimoespedro; 11-30-2012 at 02:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got hitech for b+w and they're fine. if you end up with glass filters at any point, check the thickness first. most are much thicker than the resin filters and not all filter holders have the ability to add shims to accept them. I use the lee filter hood/holder (not sure which one) and it's far better than the cokin P and the hood is a much in many situations but also keeps flare to a minimum when shooting LF where lens coverage can lead to a loss of contrast.

I've heard a lot of negative feedback regarding the cavision stuff.
    Last edited by wildbill; 11-30-2012 at 10:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    The real deal though is a thing called a designer swatch book. Rosco's has over 100 filters in about a 3"x5" size
    That sounds good. The Lee equivalent is only 1" x 3".

Steve.

Images
    I bought 2 split density filters new from B&H and a deep red from Adorama (I think) for a trip that did not happen so I put them away in my camera bag and forgot about them for a couple years. When I stumbled on them and decided to use the Split density filters I got weird wavy lines in the transparency. I assumed it was me. When I next used them I held them up to my eye to judge the scene and guess what, there were the lines. Like looking through water. I checked the red and there they were but worse. Neither store would take them back so I tossed them.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin