Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,556   Online: 970

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Should have mentioned that. Came with a very nice condition original box, original case in decent condition but with some torn stitching on the top flap, and the original lens caps. I would say the camera cosmetically and lenses is far better than bargain at KEH.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Can,t quote for a rolleicord V but 3 yrs ago I paid £99 for a Rolleicord Va11 Cla'd and wirking fine to this day so yes, I think you have been overcharged, if it had had a recemt Cla then all should be working fine, that is what you are paying for,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Try to get a quotation from Mark Hansen. The guy is sometimes rude but he knows a lot about shutters. He worked on my Cord years ago and it works perfectly since then.

Hope it helps!
    Mark Hansen has done good work on a Super Ikonta for me. I would use him again. He was also friendly and good to deal with - maybe it was a bad day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I dunno. It sounds reasonable to me. If you can get somebody to CLA it for $100 bucks you have a mint camera. You didn't do too badly. You win some and lose some over the long run.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The prices on Rolleicords have risen sharply over the years. Sounds like you paid a decent price for an old camera, but you certainly didn't get a bargain. Prices to overhaul vary. That is on the high side, but not out-of-the-question. If you shop around for a bargain repairman you'll likely find one or two -- like Flutots, and Hansen, and Ebell. For $165 from a Rollei expert you'll likely get more than just the shutter flushed, but checking of the focus mechanism too. Having faced such a quandry (it always is a question when buying old cameras to use) I can tell you that a old but decent Rolleicord that has been properly overhauled will serve you well for a decade or more. A old but decent Rolleicord with no servicing or poor servicing will be an unreliable camera to work with. Your choice.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'm kind of inclined to see if I can get a little bit of a refund and just keep it. This may be cosmic balance for the deal I got on my RB67 + 90mm + 180mm for $200 last year. All working beautifully.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ensure the lens is capable of edge to edge sharp images. Focus calibration is not an issue. Miss-aligned lens elements or de-cementing elements is. Same with scratches and coating marks. If the unit is in top shape and simply the lubricants need replacement, keep it. Yes you could save $50-100 if you keep shopping and get lucky, but you could also pay $300 for a unit the works for 3 months and then fails because the CLA was done using the wrong lubricant. If the shutter, focus and rewind mechanisms are is as good shape as exterior, keep it. If you suspect the unit has lens or mechanical ware/damage return it.

I bought an Autocord in top shape for $200 and all was working. Still I changed the cover and payed for a CLA and a new focus-screen. I think I put about $500 in all, perhaps more if I add the filters and hood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wcrankshaw View Post
    I'm kind of inclined to see if I can get a little bit of a refund and just keep it. This may be cosmic balance for the deal I got on my RB67 + 90mm + 180mm for $200 last year. All working beautifully.
    You paid a fair price for today's market. Suggest you either keep it or return it. Trying to renegotiate the deal will ruin your karma.

Sometimes you get a real bargain (as you did with the RB) and other times you pay the price you paid. It's 40+ year old gear after all.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by dnk512 View Post
    Ensure the lens is capable of edge to edge sharp images. Focus calibration is not an issue. Miss-aligned lens elements or de-cementing elements is. Same with scratches and coating marks. If the unit is in top shape and simply the lubricants need replacement, keep it. Yes you could save $50-100 if you keep shopping and get lucky, but you could also pay $300 for a unit the works for 3 months and then fails because the CLA was done using the wrong lubricant. If the shutter, focus and rewind mechanisms are is as good shape as exterior, keep it. If you suspect the unit has lens or mechanical ware/damage return it.

I bought an Autocord in top shape for $200 and all was working. Still I changed the cover and payed for a CLA and a new focus-screen. I think I put about $500 in all, perhaps more if I add the filters and hood.
    I'm going to run a roll through this afternoon and check all that stuff out. The leather is all really nice. The only problem is where some of he rubber has come up on one of the film spool retaining knobs (no idea what it's actually called). The lenses are very clear, and the inside of the camera is very clean.
    Last edited by wcrankshaw; 11-28-2012 at 09:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I strongly recommend that you repeatedly dry fire the shutter at all the affected speeds. I have found the repeatedly exercising the "sticking" shutter speeds can clear up some of the problems your are experiencing. I had a lens for my Speed Graphic that had that problem, I dry fired each of the slow speed approximately 100 times each to clear up the sticking. After about 50 shoots on several of the speeds, the shutter was sounding much better. I would do that before you consider sending it back or getting a CLA.

However if the foam seals are showing any signs of degradation, send the camera in for a CLA.

Also, I would rather have a used camera that I had CLAed than exchange it for another camera the had not been CLAed.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin