Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,588   Online: 877

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Have I paid too much for Rolleicord V...needs shutter CLA.

I bought a Vb last year on eBay. It cost £105. It is not in great cosmetic condition, but the lenses were very clean. It developed a transport problem, and the shutter problem you have, after 4 or 5 rolls. It cost £90 for an overhaul to fix these faults. I have kept my eye on the market during that period, and I'm sure the lower price reflects the cosmetic condition. I would be surprised if you could buy a good, clean example of any of the V,s for under £200 in the UK. As others have said, if you get it fixed, it should work for years to come. The alternative is a refund and start again, but you could face similar issues with another example. Alex

Shooter
    35mm

I'm sorry about the confused text in my post. The figures are 105, 90 and 200 UK Pounds, on that order! Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I strongly recommend that you repeatedly dry fire the shutter at all the affected speeds. I have found the repeatedly exercising the "sticking" shutter speeds can clear up some of the problems your are experiencing. I had a lens for my Speed Graphic that had that problem, I dry fired each of the slow speed approximately 100 times each to clear up the sticking. After about 50 shoots on several of the speeds, the shutter was sounding much better. I would do that before you consider sending it back or getting a CLA.
    Sound advice. I have changed barely working shutters to well functioning shutters doing just that. But only on very cheap cameras - if I had paid over £100 for the camera concerned, I would not have been impressed by needing to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

With patience you can do much better. Personally I'd never pay this much for a Rolleicord unless it was truly mint perfect aesthetically and/or at least had a recent documented CLA. Slow speeds off is not good.

If you are not patient and need or want it now negotiate some discount and get the CLA done but only if you're sure you'll keep it for a while because that's a lot of money invested into a Rolleicord.

Otherwise wait and be patient. I've gotten two Rolleiflexes for $139 and $150 this way. Yes needed work and were once (twice?) in a blue moon but they come up. After CLA's have have two awesome Rolleiflex cameras (3.5E3 Xenotar and 2.8C Planar) for less than what you're paying for a 'cord. I've found decent Rolleicords for $50-70.

And lastly, stay away from eBay. Lately things seem overpriced while the descriptions from buyers are getting less and less accurate. Watch here and other camera forums and lists.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I just ran a roll through and developed. The exposures all look to be dead on, and I used multiple different shutter speeds throughout the roll - just not below 1/30. I haven't scanned yet, but from the look of the negatives there are no focus issues other than my own.

I dry fired the thing quite a bit last night, but nowhere near 100 times per speed. I'll give that a shot. It definitely made the self timer work after forcing it many times. I have a feeling when I scan the negatives and see the shots, this camera will be remaining with me.
    Last edited by wcrankshaw; 11-28-2012 at 01:43 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: figured out my problem with the first frame and a half being cut off...didn't pay attention to the alignment marks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, good for you! Be very careful though with the self-timer. If it jams you will be totally out-of-luck. The shutter on that camera is a very fine shutter but loves to be clean and properly lubricated. When not in tip-top condition the self-timer often jams long before the rest of the shutter stops. And if it jams or breaks... so does the rest of the shutter.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is a Rolliecord V for sale on our local Craigslist - she initially wanted offers. I asked about the camera, turned out to be recently passed friend who hadn't used it in years, no cleaning, working of the shutter or CLA. I offered $125 since I know the CLA will be $150 - she said she wanted closer to $800 since that's what they were going for on eBay. I think she is down to $600 now, but still no offers. I wonder how long she will wait.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eventually she'll get frustrated at how cheap you guys are, and then she'll give it to Goodwill since you're not willing to pay her price. I'll bet she'd be happier doing that then seeing you get "a good deal". Ha ha ha.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think when you weigh up the costs of a CLA/service you need to think long term. Most older TLR's will need one sooner or later, once slow shutter speed become inconsistent, sluggish and sticky it's an inication that the rest of the camera needs looking at.

Prices of cameras like this and its competitors are all over the place, yes you can get good bargains but often cameras you buy will need some attention.

My guess in this case is a simple CLA of the shutter would give you a good camera well worth the cost, the quote is for a complete CLA of the camera which is much more. UK servicing is much more expensive than the US and I could get that camera fixed for about $80 here, US price should be more like $50.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, no one is denying that the camera at the high speeds should perform on a frame by frame basis well, it should, especially for negative film and it's latitude (if you really want to see if those high speeds are accurate shoot a roll of slide). But the slow speeds and the self-timer issues indicate problems a need of service, sooner rather than later. You asked if you paid too much. IMO, you did.

Have you seen this Rolleicord price guide?

http://www.antiquecameras.net/rolleicords.html

As it says: The price ranges shown are the approximate amount one should expect to have to pay for a Rolleicord in excellent, but used, condition. Camera should be fully functional as a classic camera with a mostly clean appearance, showing light signs of use or age.

In my experience getting one at the lower end of those ranges without the issues you mention is entirely possible.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin