Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,947   Online: 857

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have seen that, and the camera I got is right in the middle of the range which is why I was wondering. I don't want to start an argument, but the quote also goes on to say, "Cameras may need a CLA for regular use. Pricing was gathered from sales on photo.net, ebay auctions, Ritzcam.com, Rollei Users Group, KEH.com, and other camera dealers. Prices are biased towards ebay auctions. Expect to pay +10 to +20% more buying from a dealer. Page updated November 2011." Not a very scientific measure, and it suggests a CLA may be in order regardless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was the camera described as fully functional?

Apart from that, the fact you paid more than some might suggest is not a valid argument to send back the camera. After all, if I am willing to pay $1000 for a piece of junk, it is OK as long as what I buy is described as a piece of junk (not that your Cord is a piece of junk, it is just an example).

Last, I hope you will value your camera more than what you paid, CLAed or not. This is the most important.

Take care.
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wcrankshaw View Post
    I have seen that, ...
    Me too, and it corresponds quite well with my recollection of ebay (mostly) sales. The number of data points is not revealed on that page (or in my memory either) but I suspect there is considerable amounts of data behind it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I... I could get that camera fixed for about $80 here, US price should be more like $50.

Ian
    The two people here in the US that once overhauled shutters for around $50 now charge around $85. This has been true for several years. Many are now around $125 to $135.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Looks like karma is being maintained for everyone involved. The seller is going to have his repair staff make sure it's fixed free of charge. If so, I guess I didn't overpay after all.

Shooter
    35mm

Have I paid too much for Rolleicord V...needs shutter CLA.

Looks like you got a reasonable deal.
    My Cord V cost me $300 but was recently CLA and had a guarantee which I took up as there was a minor adjustment needed.
    Now it's perfect never misses a beat.
    You won't regret it, lovely camera.

Sticky shutter is common in these when they have been sitting.
    ALWAYS budget on a CLA unless it has recently been done or the camera is in regular use. Sit them on a shelf for years and it's gonna go sticky.
    That old grandpa camera with low use can be a bargain but it WILL need a CLA...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    if a camera or lens is purchased used
    it is best to factor in a CLA into the price.
    i find it funny that people think anything different.

i have no idea where you live but there are many people
    who are good who offer a CLA at an honest price.
    i am in rhode island and am lucky to have 2 great repair shops
    within a stone's throw of where i live.

there is midstate camera repair and zack's camera repair.
    i have used both and know both do wonderouswork.

good luck !
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Have I paid too much for Rolleicord V...needs shutter CLA.

Quote Originally Posted by wcrankshaw View Post
    Looks like karma is being maintained for everyone involved. The seller is going to have his repair staff make sure it's fixed free of charge. If so, I guess I didn't overpay after all.
    That is awesome news! Enjoy. The Rollei TLRs are my favorite cameras by far.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    essex in new jersey charges $110 for a 'cord service, which is all this one needs http://essexcamera.com/camera_list.php?brand=ROLLEI

'cord and 'flex prices seem to have gone up a lot of late -- $400 for a newly serviced one strikes me as a titch high, but you know what you've got and don't have to hassle mailing cameras back and buying another either. Essex does great work, just did a Rolleiflex for a friend and he is completely satisfied.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by derwent View Post
    Sticky shutter is common in these when they have been sitting.
    ALWAYS budget on a CLA unless it has recently been done or the camera is in regular use. Sit them on a shelf for years and it's gonna go sticky.
    That old grandpa camera with low use can be a bargain but it WILL need a CLA...
    This is true. I've bought over 100 'cords and 'flexes in the past 5 years or so.
    I always measure shutter speeds.
    How many have had reasonably accurate shutter speeds? Maybe two out of 100.
    You should always expect to need a CLA with these, unless they have been regularly used up to the present day (which is rare).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin