Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 717

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by puketronic View Post
    I think I have to get a hold of a Hasselblad user with the 45 and 90 prism. Thinking about it, I think that it might be easier. I often shoot with my WLF at my chest but sometimes I want to shoot with a slightly higher perspective, like my 35mm cameras. I guess I can stand on some books or some sort of support at the moment but that is only a temporary solution.

Lenses, parts, and servicing is a big plus too, I think. i wouldn't appreciate it immediately but it is more of a long term investment.

Midroll backs I care less about but it is a good feature to have.
    I owned server TLRs including a Mamiya C330 with the pentaprism before I got a Hasselblad. I traded the C330 with the 65mm, 80mm and 250mm lenses for the Hasselblad and never looked back.
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 11-28-2012 at 08:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Used a 2.8F with a prism and decided that having that chunk of glass on top upset the handling and balance. Four months later the prism finder was gone. The next guy didn't like it either. He lasted about six months.
    -Fred

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    Used a 2.8F with a prism and decided that having that chunk of glass on top upset the handling and balance. Four months later the prism finder was gone. The next guy didn't like it either. He lasted about six months.
    lol. I haven't looked into the prism toooo much but from what I've gathered most people give up on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own the Pentax 645Nii and the Yashica Mat 124G (poor man's Rollei.) I enjoy working with both cameras but of all my cameras the Pentax gets far and away the most use. Most of the Pentax lenses are truly magnificent and the price is definitely good. I don't own one, but I have had the fortune to use a couple different Hasselblads, and they are very, very nice cameras. The difference is the format, and the cost. If the money is no object I am sure you will enjoy the Hasselblad, but I have never been remotely tempted to give up my Pentax.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can also shot 645 on a hassy, btw
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Check out Oleg Videnin's trailer for his movie. Doesn't seem to have a problem with the Rollei prism.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQsuISpB6Ro

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your best choice for a MF shooter with an eye level prism would be either a Mamiya Super or TL with motor drive grip & prism or the Bronica ETR series. I use the Mamiya with motor grip & prism and find it quite satisfactory for eye level shooting. I have a 500c but fitting it out with a prism would make it even more clumsy than it already is. With the Mamiya you can handle the shutter speed dial and aperture without moving your eye from the prism (the same can probably be said for the Bronica but I have no experience with that camera). For eye level shooting you might want to play around with one of the Fuji or Bronica rangefinders. The Bronica would have interchangeable lenses, although they are a bit harder to come by.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a prism for my Mamiya C330. It, and the left hand grip were essential for my wedding work - the higher viewpoint is preferable for a lot of on-the-fly portrait work.

It is heavy and a bit large though, and definitely less bright than the waist level finder.

Nowadays I use the prism more as an accessory. I would guess it is on the camera about a 1/3 of the time.

Do not go for the porro-finder - it is a very poor substitute.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mamiya makes great 645 cameras and lenses. Their 80mm is the size of most 50mm's for 135 format.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by puketronic View Post
    2. How is the Pentax 645 in this regard?
    3. A bit controversial, maybe, but how is the bokeh for the Pentax? I love my Rolleiflex 2.8E but that I can only shoot through the waist. My Tessar is OK and a bit busy sometimes. I have no experience with Pentax cameras.
    4. Anyone use a Pentax 67 for this? This seems like a disaster for portrait orientation but maybe OK for landscape. Overall, I think the 645 is a better choice but man that 105mm f2.4 is tempting.
    #2: The Pentax 645 is very easy to use, and the lenses are sharp. You can put it on a tripod for either landscape or portrait.
    #3: I've never had a problem with Pentax bokeh. Bokeh is rather subjective, anyways. I have a few pictures in the gallery that I shot wide open with a 75mm f/2.8.
    #4: I have a Pentax 6x7. Yes, it's a heavy camera, but a good ball head works just fine with it. I have done a few portraits with mine, but my personal preference for portraits is a view camera. If you don't have a totally solid tripod and head, then be sure to lock the mirror up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin