Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,073   Online: 938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Question about RB-67

I've always wanted to get into medium format............so a couple of weeks ago I bought an RB-67 system from KEH. So far so good except that I don't see horizontal lines when I try to compose a shot. Just have the black vertical lines on either side. I thought that I might have the wrong focusing screen, so I sent for another one........same problem. I can't find much information when I google, except that there should be red lines. What am I doing wrong?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The red lines are plastic rods that should flip up when you change to vertical orientation, and are at rest normally in horizontal. It has nothing to do with the focusing screen. If you remove the focusing screen and rotate the back, you should be able to see how they function. However, just know that in banged up RB67 bodies, those lines are one of the first things to go.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I removed the screen and rotated the back........didn't see any movement. It's a Pro-SD body; doesn't seem to be banged up. Was supposed to be in excellent condition. So I'm guessing the rods are stuck in what would be the vertical position? If so.....is there any way to manually move them into the horizontal position?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I were you, I'd just draw the lines on the focusing screen. Those rods are awful close to the mirror, and I'd hate to scratch it up. The pro SD body may be different, I have a Pro-S.

I wouldn't know how to fix it even if you did find a problem. I'd say leave it alone or bring it to a tech.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had thought about drawing the lines on the screen.......just wasn't sure it would be a good idea. Now that I have an extra screen I think I"ll just give it a try. Just have to figure out where to draw it. Thank you very much for the help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bet your revolving adapter is missing the pin that drives the mechanism, it sticks out quite a bit and is prone to breaking off when you are a bit careless with the revolving adapter when it's taken off to use a polaroid back. Attached is a picture of the pin, have a look if it's there. It is supposed to go in a hole that is in the middle on the right side of the camera when viewed from the back. You can use a piece of wire to test the mechanism if the pin is indeed missing. Don't touch the red bars to do that, they are very fragile. Mine broke off once (6 months ago) and I received a new one from Mamiya for less than 15 bucks including postage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0399.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The pin is indeed missing. The mechanism does work when I push it with piece of wire. I suppose I could just order an adapter. Was the pin spring loaded? If not I might be able to put a small roll pin into the hole. Thanks very much for the info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not sure if it's spring loaded, I don't have the camera with me right now. It's certainly pushed in by the sloped metal thingy visible on the left hand side in the pic (excuse the description, it's not my first language). It might be pushed back in vertical mode via the mechanism in the camera itself. Mamiya Germany was very quick and helpful with the part, maybe Mamiya in the U.S is similar. I would just give them a call (http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/support_USA.asp) I just had a look at the invoice, it doesn't have a part number on it, I can only tell you it was cheap, 7 bucks exc. tax. Best of luck getting one!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you bought it from KEH, call them. I bet they'll take care of it really quickly.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check to see if your rotating back assembly actually says RB-SD at the top. I once had a franken RB with mismatched components. The back must have been from much earlier version and it didn't have the provision (the pin) you are talking about. You really should give KEH a call one way or the other before attempting a home made remedy.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin