Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,720   Posts: 1,514,901   Online: 1062

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya extension tubes and 300mm lens.

I found in an archived post here that suggested the maximum focal length recommended for use with Mamiya auto extension tubes tubes was 150mm. I want to use a 210 f4 or a 300 f5.6. Any idea if I could get away with using just a +2 or +1 on either of these lenses. Ideally the 300 f5.6 with a +2, the purpose is portraits.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Mamiya extension tubes and 300mm lens.

Well I don't know anything except it was Nearly impossible with my 180mm because the DOF was crazy shallow.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My RB manual shows info all the way to 360mm with any combination of tubes.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a 2X extender with a 300mm lens on a Mamiya 645 to photograph a theater performance, and it worked great. Delta 3200 film insured enough speed to use decent shutter speeds and depth of field worth mentioning. Still, focusing was critical and difficult to achieve sometimes.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a 180mm lens for portraits.. why an extension tube? I've never tried that.

I'd be interested to know.. maybe there is someting to be learned here.. curious.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    I use a 180mm lens for portraits.. why an extension tube? I've never tried that.

I'd be interested to know.. maybe there is someting to be learned here.. curious.
    I would be using a 210mm or 300mm for the heavy compression you get with these telephotos. Using one (and just one) extension tube would add a little more Bokeh while letting the subject stay in focus. One tube isn't going to do a whole lot to a 210mm or 300mm (or even 180mm)lens as far as making it macro. The 300mm is extra tempting because the N version has some nice ULD glass in it that is lacking in most lenses in this range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Extension tubes for portraits?
    Are you talking extension tubes or tele-converters?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This 645 accessories brochure ("Tools of the Trade") from Mamiya indicates that the extension tubes may be used with all lenses from 55mm, except zooms and that some vignetting may occur with lenses longer than 150mm .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used my 250 for portraits to bring in compression but I find it too heavy on the RBs to be weilding a cannon on a tank. then throw on a prism.... poundage?.. nah, I'm happy with my 180.

But I will try the expension tube one day n see what the fuss is all about. ummmmm.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm assuming that you are referring to MF 645 here. I have a 645AF with 150 and 210 ULD lenses. There are times when I would have enjoyed a better near-focus limit on both those lenses. I have resorted to using Nikon 5T and 6T diopters for close-focus work, and the sharpness on both lenses is still very good. But there is a gap in between "near without" and "far with" diopter. Also, diopters change the effective focal length, so that the lens is effectively a shorter focal length. That usually does not bother me, but sometimes it can be an issue. I have been looking for AF extension tubes locally, without success. So I would love to know whether someone else has tested diopters vs extension tubes for close-up work, from a perspective of both quality of results and ease of operation/use.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin