Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,728   Online: 805

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Not really. I do this all the time with my Pentax 6x7.

Just frame the shot, trip the MLU and hit the shutter.
    Yup. You can use front rise on my Linhof with the wire frame finder never viewing the image on the GG, too, but I prefer to use a tripod and frame the shot properly. The point of MLU is to get a sharp image; using MLU but not a tripod strikes me as being similar to getting a long range rifle and using it without a telescopic sight or sandbags. YMMV.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    Hi.

There is no evidence that the mirror vibration was fully damped by the time the shutter opened.
    But I can agree to disagree .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you are reading the graph correctly. It wasn't, and it wasn't after the shutter opened either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimoespedro View Post
    Hi.

There is no evidence that the mirror vibration was fully damped by the time the shutter opened.
    It's possible to tell that the action of the mirror is evident, and that the amplitude degradation as the mirror vibration settles is also evident, regardless of whether shutter vibration is taken into account or not. Since shutter vibration cannot be entirely eliminated anyway, it is a moot point to discuss. It's there, whether we flip up the mirror or not, so it's a constant, not a variable.

The point is that the the vibration that is likely cause mostly due to the mirror action, is not fully damped by the time the shutter opens.
    - If a tripod with poor vibration damping, or poor vibration draining abilities is used, there will be more vibration in the camera itself, causing unsharp pictures, and that there are some shutter times that are particularly sensitive to this, where vibration is sustained during a majority of the lapsed time.
    - If the camera is hand held, the photographer must employ techniques to hold the camera as still as possible.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi.

Disagree?!

Neither the author of the article which accompanied that graph nor I ever suggested the mirror vibration was fully damped by the time the shutter opened. In fact if you read the article just the opposite was suggested by the author. Furthermore I find your post curious because you posted this...

Hi,

the chart on the link may have several interpretations, but I am sure it does not demonstrate the need for MLU.
    I never said the graph "demonstrates" anything. All I said was it is "interesting." But if you subscribe to the notion that the vibrations from the mirror flipping up are still reverberating when the shutter is opened wouldn't that mean it is within the realm of possibility mirror lockup could have a beneficial effect on image quality? What am I missing?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin