Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,180   Online: 1079

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    Damage isn't necessarily instataneious according to what I've read. My understanding is in some cases you can use a flash with too much voltage for an extended period of time until one day... poof!
    Yup. That's why I said I'm reconsidering now. I have EE background and unless someone has schematics for the trigger or a definitive statement from Mamiya, it is better be safe than sorry. Especially with such an expensive piece of equipment. On the other hand, here's what the manual said:

"When an electronic flash is connected to the hot-shoe, current moves through the X contact. So be sure to put the safety cover supplied with the camera on the X contact so that you will not receive an electric shock."

It's kinda hard to get an electric shock with just 6V on the contacts is it? So unless I'm misreading it, they must be assuming a higher voltage there.

Eugene.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    "When an electronic flash is connected to the hot-shoe, current moves through the X contact. So be sure to put the safety cover supplied with the camera on the X contact so that you will not receive an electric shock."

It's kinda hard to get an electric shock with just 6V on the contacts is it? So unless I'm misreading it, they must be assuming a higher voltage there.

I don't have a background in EE or anything even close so I will not be able to add to your knowledge of circuits. What I can say though is a low voltage shock can cause injury if there is enough current. And even if it doesn't cause anything more than mild transient discomfort it could still be a legal and marketing issue. Well heeled yuppies would definitely get down in the mouth about getting little shocks from their brand new very expensive toys. So how much current are we talking about? I have no idea. I would have to defer to you EE types.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    On the other hand, here's what the manual said:

Eugene.
    Sounds like Mamiya recognizes some flashes have high voltage that can run from hot shoe to x-sync and doesn't give a warning except for human shock

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I did email Mamiya, thank you for the replies everyone. I will let you know what they say. BUt as of right now... I might just get a Nikon sb-15...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Ok, so Mamiya wrote me back:

I have checked on your question and can find no reason why the old Vivitar 225 flash should cause any problems for your camera. Part of the reasoning behind that is that Profoto strobes have a very high sync voltage and they do not cause any issues, even though they do not use the hot shoe. However, it may be a good idea to contact Vivitar directly as they may know something that we do not, just to be certain that there will be no issues for the camera.

Im pretty certain voltage is different when from hot shoe or sync input. Ive emailed Vivitar in the past and they never responded.

With all that said, I went and bought myself a nice Metz 20 C2

I'm sure it would be fine, but Id rather not test it and in the long term regret it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Mamiya 7ii with Old flashes

Making me wonder about using my old canon flashes on my mamiya, they are for FD mount canon's, anyone know if those would have high voltage?

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepehr View Post
    I have checked on your question and can find no reason why the old Vivitar 225 flash should cause any problems for your camera. Part of the reasoning behind that is that Profoto strobes have a very high sync voltage and they do not cause any issues, even though they do not use the hot shoe. However, it may be a good idea to contact Vivitar directly as they may know something that we do not, just to be certain that there will be no issues for the camera.
    Sounds like we've got the answer, and it's consistent with the manual. Case closed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use an SB-600 on my Mamiya 7 and have never had an issue with it. I've turned it on both first and second and so far everything has been fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin