Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,698   Online: 714

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Mamiya 7ii with Old flashes

Hello all,

So I have done a ton of web research trying to find the solution... I have a Mamiya 7ii, I also have a Vivitar Auto 225 flash.

Across all the major photo forums I can't seem to come to a conclusion of wether or not the Mamiya 7ii can handle old high voltage flashes. I saw Ken Rockwell and others say you can use any flash under the sun, but I just want to be positive.

Ive read a few responses of Vivitar 283's being used, but I hear those are volatile at best and maybe those specific users have a low voltage copy.

Does anyone here have any personal experience with a Mamiya 7ii with a flash that is on this list that is classified as 'NO' for EOS compatibility?

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    It has one contact point just like any other old cameras that could handle high voltage flash unit. Modern TTL shoe has multiple contacts to facilitate camera-flash communication.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks for the reply, are those the only cameras to be fried, ones with ttl?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As the Mamiya 7II has an electronically controlled leaf shutter mechanism, I would be concerned that the flash synch circuit is electronic (i.e. vulnerable) rather than fully manual (i.e. resistant to high synch voltage flashes).

As I understand it, my Mamiya 645 Pro is susceptible to damage from high synch voltages, and it is relatively similar to the 7II
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    AFAIK Mamiya 645 Pro has two extra contact points on its hot shoe, hence there might be some electronic parts working behind the shoe.
    However, if you are not sure it might be better to use flash trigger unit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a few months I have been using it with Vivitar 215 which is a high voltage flash without an incident. However now since you mentioned it, I'm starting to reconsider. Maybe it is not such a good idea. I just ordered an adapter. Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also read quite a bit into this (as much as I could find that is). I have been using a metz mecablitz 60 which is pretty powerful with its external battery. I've not had any problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest you buy a Safe Sync it knocks the trigger voltage down to less than six volts http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_Shoe_to.html
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    For a few months I have been using it with Vivitar 215 which is a high voltage flash without an incident. However now since you mentioned it, I'm starting to reconsider. Maybe it is not such a good idea. I just ordered an adapter. Good luck!
    Damage isn't necessarily instataneious according to what I've read. My understanding is in some cases you can use a flash with too much voltage for an extended period of time until one day... poof!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    I also read quite a bit into this (as much as I could find that is). I have been using a metz mecablitz 60 which is pretty powerful with its external battery. I've not had any problems.
    Mecablitz 60 CT-4s are rated safe for recent Canon DSLRs. I've used one on a Canon DSLR, ETRS, and Rollei Integral. The amount of light a flash puts out has nothing to do with the trigger voltage. Far less powerful flashes than the mighty Mecablitz 60 CT-4 have baked cameras.

Consult the chart in the OP. It is a great resource.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you emailed Mamiya to ask them? There's plenty of low-voltage thyristor flashes out there, so no real need to use a suspect one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin