Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,761   Online: 967

Shooter
    35mm

Price suggestions for selling a Rolleiflex?

Hello, I hope this isn't inappropriate. I'm not trying to cheat the classifieds but I have two questions.

I have a Rolleiflex 2.8D that I want to sell. It is in excellent condidtion cosmetically and mechanically but there is slight haze in the taking lens. It was CLA'd by Harry Fleener (I got it second hand, however) so it is very very smooth but it has the stock screen (which I prefer over fresnel, actually). I have a CLA'd 2.8E with Maxwell so I'm not sure to keep or sell this thing but anyways...

Clean or not to clean?
    Would it be more profitable if I got the lens cleaned, and then sold it? Or should I just sell it as is. I can provide pictures to show that it is useable, even wide open, but slightly lower contrast. It is noticeable however. I talked to a camera tech and about getting lenses cleaned and he told me the schenider lenses tend to haze but they are easy to clean. I know that with some lenses, haze is pretty much death, but with Rollei...I'm not sure. At focal point, this operation costs ~$200.

How should I price this?
    Antiquecameras price these things at $650-$950. This is a better conditioned Rollei and it has been CLA'd; however, the lens needs work (~$200, I think). I guess $900 if I got the lens cleaned and around $700 if I don't? Harry Fleenor cameras bring in more money but I guess that would be offset by the fact that it is a Xenotar and that it needs more work (if I do not clean the lens).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Don't forget that you also have shipping to pay on top of that 200. I just today sent my 2.8F to Fleenor and shipping with insurance was over 60 dollars each way by priority mail or 25 dollars one way by parcel post. Fleenor won't use parcel post to return. I don't believe that the Xenotar vs Planar makes much difference especially in that model. You can make a study of completed listings on ebay but personally if it was me, I would just cut my losses and take my lumps and put it on ebay with low minimum bid and forget about it.

Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For the lens, it seems Focal Point Lens in Colorado is the go-to people for old Rolleiflex lenses. Contact them and see if they do cleanings, not just re-coatings?

If it was repaired by Fleenor and the lens overhauled by Focal Point, you'd get good money for it. As to whether it would be enough to offset the costs, I can't say. Ebay can be unrealistic- people expecting perfection even if the listing is clear, etc. Forums like here and rangefinder and such would probably get you more realistic buyers.

By the way, Fleenor is charging me $27 to ship my Rolleiflex back to me. My shipping to him was about that- US Post, priority, $800 insurance. Not certain why it would cost $60? I am in San Francisco.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks for the suggestions.

I'll look into ebay listings. It seems that ebay prices are more erratic but I can get a better sense.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    For the lens, it seems Focal Point Lens in Colorado is the go-to people for old Rolleiflex lenses. Contact them and see if they do cleanings, not just re-coatings?

If it was repaired by Fleenor and the lens overhauled by Focal Point, you'd get good money for it. As to whether it would be enough to offset the costs, I can't say. Ebay can be unrealistic- people expecting perfection even if the listing is clear, etc. Forums like here and rangefinder and such would probably get you more realistic buyers.

By the way, Fleenor is charging me $27 to ship my Rolleiflex back to me. My shipping to him was about that- US Post, priority, $800 insurance. Not certain why it would cost $60? I am in San Francisco.
    I don't know. I used the exact box dimensions he recommended and packed it in bubble wrap exactly as he said and the clerk at the post office told me 63 dollars insured one way from Portland OR. Or 23 Parcel post with insurance. I went the parcel post way without insurance. Trusting my packaging.
    Dennis

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin