Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,212   Online: 1179

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Hassy split screens darkening

Hello,

I have a Hassy split screen on loan, basically, and I'm noticing that in lower light conditions with a 150mm f/4 lens it seems to get a bit dark in the split image circle.
    So far I really like it, and will probably end up getting it to keep it as an option, as it really helps when using the NC2 prism. However, the darkening issue is a bit of a concern. This is a non-acumatte version, would the acu-matte version eliminate this? I've read similar online, but I was wondering on hearing some first hand experiences. It does not seem to do this with the 60mm, only the 150, but seeing as how I need the 150 AND the NC2 at the same time for portraits and such, a split image screen that dosen't darken would be really valuable... So... Before I even think about the expense of another acu-matte screen with a split focus, I want to be sure it will actually suit my needs.

Thank you!
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Split image screens are meant for use in good lighting conditions and favour lenses of 2.8 or faster. They are not ideal in low lighting conditions, where an acute matte screen would be better. Also split image screens were designed to be more useful with wide-angle lenses than with telephotos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    they all go half dark @ 5.6 and sometimes wider on longer glass.

try centering you eye exactly over the split and it sometimes helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They go dark at the larger f/stops and one half will go dark even sooner unless your pupil is lined up with the axis of the split image.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Therfore you have to move your eye around to see each half separately and estimate where the images line up. Quite doable but perhaps as easy just to look at he ground glass portion. Don't forget that if you ever use a exposure prism, the split screen is not recomended.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had no problem with split screen and PME prism if I move my eye to the right position when the darkening occur.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin