Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 77,040   Posts: 1,697,368   Online: 710
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fotoman 612

I actually own a 6x12 and can speak from experience as opposed to speculating about them. You can easily hand-hold a 6x12. People USED to hand hold 4x5's - remember all those photo journalists with Speed Graphics? I use my 6x12 hand-held about 80% of the time.

My 6x12 back has a dark slide so the back can be taken off the camera with film in it. I also have a ground glass for the camera. Nearly useless with the 45mm lens I use, as you need a center spot filter and the light fall off at the edges of the image makes the ground glass nearly useless.

This is not as much of a problem with a longer focal length lens, but you have to decide what you want - a near panoramic format or a really wide field of view. I wanted both, so I got the 45mm and it provides a 110-degree field of view. You can look at the FOV for 4x5 lenses and figure the FOV on a 6x12 will be very close.

If you don't get a camera with an optical viewfinder, you will have to use the ground glass for composition - just remember the caveat about really wide angle lenses and light fall-off.

Otherwise, shoot 4x5 and crop the 6x12 out of the image.

what kind of 6x12 do you have?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin