Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,379   Online: 763

Shooter
    35mm

Pentax P67II in cold weather

I recently used (or tried to use) my P67II in sub zero temp (around -7C) and it showed "Perr" message. I tried to detach the prism and the lens several times but didn't quite work. It will back on for 1 frame and then "Perr" again. I tried to pull the battery, put them in my pocket for a while, retried but it too didn't work. When I got back to my warm hotel room, the camera will function normally. Until now I haven't seen the message reappears.

Does anybody have experience working with P67II in cold weather? BTW I have used the camera in around 0 Celsius without problem and I am using Duracell 123 lithium battery.

FRM

Shooter
    35mm
    I did a google search and found the following.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...ing-error.html

Also checked photo.net and found the following discussions.

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00REgo

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00A444

I have had my 67II out in the cold but never had it bonk and flash an error warning.

I hope one of these links gives you ideas.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes I read those two from photo.net, thank you. I also don't use helicoid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used my 67 in temps right around freezing with no trouble.
    Its the Fuji GF670 that is wimpy in cold weather. Shuts down way too fast!
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have experience with the pentax 67II but I've had other cameras fail in cold weather. I do a yearly night photography project in the middle of winter (middle of Canada) and use this as a way to test and break in equipment. I think you've probably just found the limit of that particular camera system, you may try a different battery (although the lithiums you have are usually the best) or keep the camera inside your jacket.
    The mostly mechanical Pentax 67 MLU model with waist level finder may be an option for cold weather that would let you use your lenses, although I've never used one in -7C weather.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have a remote battery cable for my older P 67. The 67 II uses a different style battery, so I don't
    know if they ever made one for it or not, but it would be easy for anyone with basic electronics skills
    to make one.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John cox View Post
    I don't have experience with the pentax 67II but I've had other cameras fail in cold weather. I do a yearly night photography project in the middle of winter (middle of Canada) and use this as a way to test and break in equipment. I think you've probably just found the limit of that particular camera system, you may try a different battery (although the lithiums you have are usually the best) or keep the camera inside your jacket.
    The mostly mechanical Pentax 67 MLU model with waist level finder may be an option for cold weather that would let you use your lenses, although I've never used one in -7C weather.
    I had P67 before and upgraded to P67II because the viewfinder makes focusing so much easier.
    Now I wonder if battery fails to deliver enough juice shouldn't the camera blinks its low battery indicator instead of 'Perr' ?

Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I have a remote battery cable for my older P 67. The 67 II uses a different style battery, so I don't
    know if they ever made one for it or not, but it would be easy for anyone with basic electronics skills
    to make one.
    Do you mean external battery that you can put inside your pocket? This sounds doable by hacking extra battery cover or by making a trip to hardware store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As always, the first thing is to replace the battery, even if the one you have in it is new.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin