Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,523,009   Online: 1222

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Abandoning a 6x6 SLR system in favour of a TLR & 6x9 RF

For the last couple of weeks I have been contemplating this thought. Now as much as I can't fault my Bronica SQA's performance I have to admit, I have become too lazy/busy to carry and (effectively) use the system. The fact that it has interchangable lenses does not help because I am always tempted to take most of them along, just in case, and I tend to use the 80mm 90% of the time anyway. Plus at the speed I use it (effectively!) and my average output, I might as well get a LF in the future if I want to take my time.

Now, I have been thinking selling/trading in this Bronica kit and getting a Rolleiflex and/or/maybe after a bit of saving a Fuji GW690(I.II or III), I have looked at the Mamiya & Bronica RF too, but they bring back in the lusting for more lenses problem, plus the Bronica RF is 645, which I have always thought an akward format.

I already have a YashicaMat, that gets used more than the Bronica, so a second TLR (and Rollei's being pretty good last time I checked) might be good.

I might be barking up the wrong lamppole (never mind tree) but I feel the need to simplify some of the aspects of my photography...too much stuff is just that...too much

PS: I have no illusions that different gear will make me a better photographer, just a less tired one

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not use the YashicaMat? Put the Bronica money towards that LF.
    I get the desire to simplify. In my case I need to learn to take good photos with what I have and not focus on more and different gear. I've started using a Holga for street photos because I learned that if I have the option of focusing and composing I will spend ten minutes doing it.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    keep what you have and slowly get rid of what you don't use. if you haven't used something for a few years. it becomes a 'for-sale' candidate!. that's a good way o simplify your photographic life. good luck. i feel with you. i keep what i have and i will buy nothing new. i shocked my wife the other day, when i told her to toss the calumet flyer, because it contained nothing i don't already own. i need nothing more ,just the time and the opportunity to use what i already have.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might might to consider a Mamyia 6, not the new version, the old version from the 50s. Folds up very, compact, 75mm fixed 3.5 lens, takes S VI push on filters, lens is very sharp. There are other fixed lens folders as well, but if think your 6X6 SLR is heavy try a Mamyia Universal with a 6X9 back and a 250mm lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by horacekenneth View Post
    Why not use the YashicaMat? Put the Bronica money towards that LF.
    I do use the Mat, but by my reckoning a second TLR (different film inside than in the Mat for instance) would be helpful, as for the LF, that is a future purchase say 5 to 6 years min. My current situation won't afford me the time to, take my time too much when taking photos. I actually thought about trading the Bronica for a LF a while back, but realized I won't have much time to use it (for a while anyway).

This all just theorizing and speculation on my part still. Things my change...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    keep what you have and slowly get rid of what you don't use. if you haven't used something for a few years. it becomes a 'for-sale' candidate!. that's a good way o simplify your photographic life. good luck. i feel with you. i keep what i have and i will buy nothing new. i shocked my wife the other day, when i told her to toss the calumet flyer, because it contained nothing i don't already own. i need nothing more ,just the time and the opportunity to use what i already have.
    Like I said, this is all just theory, I have not made any concrete steps...things might change. Sage advice none the less...Thanks Mr. Lambrecht

Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    You might might to consider a Mamyia 6, not the new version, the old version from the 50s. Folds up very, compact, 75mm fixed 3.5 lens, takes S VI push on filters, lens is very sharp. There are other fixed lens folders as well, but if think your 6X6 SLR is heavy try a Mamyia Universal with a 6X9 back and a 250mm lens.
    I will look into the Mamiya Six, but I've only had bad luck with vintage 120 folders.... but at least it has a coupled RF, which makes it a bit more interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having been quite fed up after a few trips abroad with my Mamiya RB, 2-3 lenses, 3 backs etc., I recently bought a Fuji GW670III. I was a bit worried at first, I only ever used SLR's and thought the focusing would be difficult, now I could not be happier. The lens is absolutely stunning, as is the rangefinder (huuuge and contrasty), and the focus ring is the best I have ever felt in terms of tactility.
    If you are looking for a fixed lens medium format RF you can't go wrong with the GWIII series. However, I do like shooting close portraits from time to time, I wouldn't wan't to miss the SLR for that. If that's something you do I would probably keep the Bronica along with the longer lens(es).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I made the plunge toward a 4x5 LF camera coming from 25 years+ of medium format. What happened is that when when taking out the LF gear, the MF comes along, why, the external meter gives the correct exposure, as i have the same film type in both. So things do not really simplify when you go LF, it simply adds new ways of doing photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having been quite fed up after a few trips abroad with my Mamiya RB, 2-3 lenses, 3 backs etc., I recently bought a Fuji GW670III. I was a bit worried at first, I only ever used SLR's and thought the focusing would be difficult, now I could not be happier. The lens is absolutely stunning, as is the rangefinder (huuuge and contrasty), and the focus ring is the best I have ever felt in terms of tactility.
    If you are looking for a fixed lens medium format RF you can't go wrong with the GWIII series. However, I do like shooting close portraits from time to time, I wouldn't wan't to miss the SLR for that. If that's something you do I would probably keep the Bronica along with the longer lens(es).
    Yes...that is also one the reasons I am thinking of this....less gear to drag along on not-exclusively-for-photography trips, a TLR, a 6x9 RF, light meter, filters & film would take up[ less space than a 6x6 SLR plus backs, plus 40, 80, 150 and 500mm lenses...ooh and do I pack the prism finder? maybe just in case. I am not a huge on portraits close up...so that does not bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by jk0592 View Post
    I made the plunge toward a 4x5 LF camera coming from 25 years+ of medium format. What happened is that when when taking out the LF gear, the MF comes along, why, the external meter gives the correct exposure, as i have the same film type in both. So things do not really simplify when you go LF, it simply adds new ways of doing photography.
    Ha, good point, BUT, I plan on getting into LF when my son is a bit older....the simplifying part has more to do with my current gear....fixed lenses for now, just to keep me from dragging along a bunch of lenses I might not even use just in case....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 6x6 SLR excels for close-up work and anything else that demands careful framing and the ability to preview the depth of field.

I would suggest keeping the camera body plus any lenses and accessories that support those endeavours, plus anything else that you like to do with that camera.

Sell the rest, and use the money wisely .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin