Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,137   Online: 1063

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just one more thought on the Mamiya C220/C330. Lenses come in two basic varieties, namely black and chrome. The chrome lenses have seikosha shutters which, while they are working are very good. However if the shutter fails you will not be able to repair it because spares are no longer available. If you decide to go for one of these cameras then get one with a black lens.

Happy new year

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Hmmmm...I tried the Seagulls and found them quite good.
    ditto, and so far all the reliability issues that I've read about relate to 20 year old seagulls. The seagull I've handled had the brightest focusing screen of any TLR I've shot, and everything felt pretty solid... Honestly, after shooting a Flexora and a Rolleicord, the thing felt like a luxury car. And I have no complaints about the lenses either. This was shot with a 3 element lens Seagull, in Tri-x E.I 200 developed in D-76 1:1

So was this (shot and focused using the headlights of my car, which says something for the focusing screen):

Not to mention that it's one of the few 6x6 cameras still being built. I'm not sure if that count's for anything, but it should.

Now, there may very well be reliability issues with these new cameras, but I've never heard or read of one. If anyone here has a horror story with a new seagull, please chime in: I've been considering replacing my Pentacon with one for a while now (I like simplicity)...

Oh, and happy new year.

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At the risk of providing further physical abuse to a dead or dying animal of an equine persuasion:

I did a little bit of research on the new seagulls, and it looks like the top of the line one (model 109) has a japanese made seiko shutter (1-1/500), further dismissing claims of unreliability.

but, once again, if someone out there can prove me wrong, please do before any of us invests in one of these...

They're starting to look really good, though.
    Last edited by Andre R. de Avillez; 01-02-2005 at 03:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Andre,

I too have a new 3-element Seagull TLR(4B-1) and I agree with you that it is reliable. I guess the complains that you read about in forums lie with the very old Seagulls which had chinese characters on it instead of the modern ones with the english name plate.

Whats nice about it is, its so simply built that there's little to go wrong as long as one does not force any of its knobs and dials if one is not sure how to go about using it.

At aperture setting of f3.5, it produces a nice softening of the edges which I'm using to full advantage for portraits. At f8 and smaller, its as good as any 4-element TLR.

I have managed to get a original square lenshood from a 2nd hand dealer although I already bought a new one from Hoya(34mm). They do not make them anymore but there might be some New-old-stock left if you're lucky enough to find them.

I took the liberty of going straight to my local Hoya dealer and was surprised to find step-up rings so that I could use the more popular size filters. 34mm size filters are still manufactured and sold though.I also managed to get the polarizer. I also bought close-up filter sets(I bought them in pairs). They come in five different strengths, +1 +2 +3 +4 and +5. IMO +1 +2 are the most useful for my needs.

I have now gone back to using my Yashica 635 and my Rolleicords(III & V) because I have left them aside for quite a while. They need to be exercised once in a while.

So much for giving equal attention. Now lets see which other of my TLRs got left out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CameraMan
    ...I guess the complains that you read about in forums lie with the very old Seagulls which had chinese characters on it instead of the modern ones with the english name plate....
    I have one of the old ones, as seen in my avatar. I like it, but I don't think optically it is anywhere near the newer models. Also, the viewing lens is very dim. Still, it is a better camera than a Holga.

At the price Mamiya C220's are going for these days, I consider them almost a steal. I've had one now for several years. The 5 element 80mm f-2.8 lens can hold it's own with any of the other TLR's out there. Getting other lens sizes is getting cheaper all the time. These cameras are, indeed, built like tanks and will hold up to almost any abuse. Also, the viewing screen is very nice, and can be upgraded to a Beattie or Maxwell if one feels the need.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My first was a C330 loved it nice and easy 120 and 220 is not to expensive and lenses are easy to buy
    If you are interested I have an RB that I am trying to sale it has a 220 back
    if you want more info send a PM not trying to be pushy just mentioning
    Gustavo Castilla
    We are not moved by things ,
    but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Has anyone mentioned the Fuji GW and GSW II and II cameras, available in 6X7 and 6X9 format? These cameras would make great first cameras for someone interested in medium format because they are totally manual and very compact, when considering the size of the negative. And they make great travel cameras also, again taking into consideration the large size of the negative.

Sandy

Images
    Good Afternoon,

I'll second the comment above about the Fuji MF rangefinders, at least the 6 x 7. the lens is terrific, the overall quality seems to be excellent; the only drawback is that they're still a bit pricey used, although much more reasonable than when they were being sold new.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Andre
    I started three and a half years ago with Yashicamat 124. And I enjoyed it a lot.You can find a lot of information on the Net about the camera.If you are interested I am willing to part with mine for $100.Send me PM if you decide

Good luck

Greg
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin