Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,136   Online: 853

Thread: Lightmeter APP

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lightmeter APP

I'm considering ditching my l-398 to help reduce the amount of camera stuff I have, but I still need a meter. Does anyone know of a good light meter app for the android OS? Currently I have "Bee Cam light meter" and it's like rolling the dice. I would be willing to pay for a meter app if I knew I was getting something worth the money, but would prefer free to at least try it out and see what the meter is telling me in each scene.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have heard a lot about meter apps for the iphone and others. I wonder how does it work? It use the imaging sensor in the camera to measure light?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes exactly. The iPhone apps are a lot better since each version of the phone has the same camera (all iPhone 5's have the same camera for example). There's like 20 different Android phones out there each with a different camera so making a good App is harder.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John cox View Post
    Yes exactly. The iPhone apps are a lot better since each version of the phone has the same camera (all iPhone 5's have the same camera for example). There's like 20 different Android phones out there each with a different camera so making a good App is harder.
    Though I am not an Android developer, I can think of a way around this... Provide a special "calibration" mode. The user could enter the calibration mode, point the camera at a gray card under sunny-16 (or sunny-11) conditions and hit a button. This could then be stored as a setting for the app on the phone. Presto... Calibration complete - at least in the linear response range for the camera.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There should be a lot of ways to improve phone meters. I've been told they actually don't use the camera but the display brightness sensor, if this is the case using the camera and your calibration idea would be huge improvements. I'm considering writing a script if I can't find a good cheap meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After trying a few android lightmeter apps, I'll be sticking with my Weston Master VI.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John cox View Post
    I'm considering ditching my l-398...
    You would ditch a magnificent purpose-built Sekonic L-398 Studio Deluxe incident light meter for a free toy phone app?

Really??

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've downloaded 3 different apps for my Android (Motorola) phone - they all work to a degree, but all are a pain to use..

I gather there are a couple of good ones for iphones though...

And to be honest I would be more inclined to trust a lightmeter app than a 50 year old Weston meter....once I had used it a few times (and compared the readings to my Minolta Flash V meter..)
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

dpn
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Lightmeter APP

So, what's the definitive iPhone light meter app? Not that it'll replace my L-208 in incident mode ...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin