Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,591   Online: 1115

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the test. Is there a standard grease for CLAs? May be I got the summer weight oil
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I get older I tend to get less cold tolerant but I have regularly captured images with my Pentax and Minolta SRTs at temperatures that were far below zero, like 30 or 40 below, while snowmobiling in North Dakota. I never had any problem with shutters at that temperature but I did run into problems with the viewfinders frosting over if I tried to lift them to my eyes and use them. I usually scale focused. As for keeping them warm, both the Minolta SRT 101 and the Pentax K1000 rode in a backpack on the outside of my snow suit, not on the inside, so they were usually close to ambient temperature. They were surely cold chunks of metal but both cameras were very snow mitten friendly.

I always chucked the exposed film into the refrigerator as soon as I got back home so they had the opportunity to thaw slowly. And the cameras went in the refrigerator as well otherwise they would start to sweat and had to be left near the furnace vent for a couple days to dry out.

Both of those cameras have focal plane shutters so I don't know how leaf shutters respond to cold. My Super Ikonta seems to do OK but I haven't run across any serious cold here in Nevada to really test it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My knowledge is through experimenting mostly so take it for what it is. Generally though only a few parts really need to be lubricated, in Prontor/Compur shutters the escapement mechanism can do with some oil but only in minute amounts: a droplet is huge in comparison, I apply the oil with the top of a sewing needle, very tiny amounts and only at the bearings of the axles. Grease is more for gliding areas and against corrosion on larger springs. If any oil manages to get to the shutter blades (oil can creep slowly to them...) they will slow down or stick altogether even in room temperature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Swensson View Post
    or buy a russian camera
    +1. I go skiing with a Kiev 4 in my waist pouch. Had a Zorki freeze up before though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Thanks for the test. Is there a standard grease for CLAs? May be I got the summer weight oil
    Except for a few points where a pinpoint dot of grease is applied, there should be no grease in the shutter; oil is what is used on the pivots. But, 27 F isn't cold. There are many non-freezing oils and greases available which will continue working in temperatures where the human body will have long since shut down.
    What most likely happened is some old, thickened lube was left in the shutter - virtually any instrument/watch oil will continue working at that relatively warm temperature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the valuable insight E. von Hoegh. I might be wrong on my report about my Zeiss Super Ikonta IV. I came home last night to check on the camera and it might not be the cold that caused the problem. The problem wasn't even a slow shutter. I found out it was malfunctioning. When I cock the shutter and push the shutter release, it clicks then when I cock the shutter again, it releases through the cocking lever. I gotta send the camera again. The first time I sent it in was for the CLA, the second time I sent it in for a shutter issue during a trip to Yosemite and it happend in Yosemite again this week. Luckily, the shutter was fine for my 16 day trip to Southeast Asia last summer. I shot about 8 rolls then. I love the camera and the lens is razor sharp. Is the shutter on my camera isn't robust?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the valuable insight E. von Hoegh. I might be wrong on my report about my Zeiss Super Ikonta IV. I came home last night to check on the camera and it might not be the cold that caused the problem. The problem wasn't even a slow shutter. I found out it was malfunctioning. When I @#!*% the shutter and push the shutter release, it clicks then when I @#!*% the shutter again, it releases through the cocking lever. I gotta send the camera again. The first time I sent it in was for the CLA, the second time I sent it in for a shutter issue during a trip to Yosemite and it happend in Yosemite again this week. Luckily, the shutter was fine for my 16 day trip to Southeast Asia last summer. I shot about 8 rolls then. I love the camera and the lens is razor sharp. Is the shutter on my camera isn't robust?
    The problem is not the shutter, it's whomever is doing the so-called "CLA".
    Find someone who is competent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip. Can you recommend a competent repair facility? Obviously the one I've been using isn't serving me well
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the tip. Can you recommend a competent repair facility? Obviously the one I've been using isn't serving me well
    Sorry, but there's no one I've had experience with, I take care of my own shutters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Ken Ruth. http://www.baldmtn.com/

He rebuilt the shutter in my Super Isolette and it works great again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin