Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,943   Online: 926

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Zeiss Super Ikona IV in the cold

While shooting today in cold and snowy Yosemite, I discovered that the shutter is slow in the freezing cold. About 27 degrees F. I had a CLA done a year ago on my Zeiss Super Ikona IV. I thick the grease in the shutter is too thick for the shutter to work properly
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    this happens with any camera -- my olympus XA froze up on a bike ride a bit ago, I've seen Nikon Fs freeze up -- 27 is pretty cold -- keep the camera inside your jacket until you shoot so it stays warm enough. -- you don't want it so cold that it gets misty from precipitation when you take it back in the house either.

if your camera does freeze up DO NOT FORCE IT. Just put it inside ur coat and let it warm up.

If you are going to use it in the freezing cold a lot, like that upcoming treck to the South Pole by ski pulling sledges (take lots of vitamin C!!!) you an have it weatherized with thinner lubes.

Another thing to watch out for -- frozen film can break, and generate static electricity that leaves lovely flashes on your film, so wind slowly in the cold.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    or buy a russian camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or use a Prontor shuttered camera. Prontor shutters are designed to run dry and should not have any oil in the mechanism and so cannot freeze up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently had two rolls have run into bad static problems in -7C weather, (which isn't too cold). I've had to stop shooting outside at dawn and move up to 11:00 AM for the rest of the winter with film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I thick the grease in the shutter is too thick for the shutter to work properly
    Only a few parts of the shutter mechanism need to be oiled. And certainly not greased. There are watch maker's oils of very high quality (Moebius 9010 comes to mind) that really never freezes. However if even that low-viscous oil enter the shutter blades your in for trouble. If this is an oil issue you are having bad luck or a bad CLA (wrong oil). The mechanism can of course also be slowed down by humidity in it before being brought out into the cold.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have never once had trouble with a camera freezing up. I routinely photo at night in temps well below zero F, sometimes as cold as --42F. If a camera is having problems at what I consider a fairly warm +27F, something is wrong with the camera.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    While shooting today in cold and snowy Yosemite, I discovered that the shutter is slow in the freezing cold. About 27 degrees F. I had a CLA done a year ago on my Zeiss Super Ikona IV. I thick the grease in the shutter is too thick for the shutter to work properly
    Could be that the CLA didn't involve wide temperature range lubricants.
    Proper CLA should guarantee reliability down to at least -10°F.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I wrote my first post in this thread I also put a self-CLA'd Zeiss Ikonta in the fridge (-18C/0F). I took it out of the fridge just right now. This was CLA'd without the superb Moebius oil and worked ok at 1/25s. Faster speeds were no problem, slower a bit erratic though [The main worry now is the amount of frost that immediately stuck on the lens and elsewhere, haha.... ]. Well it was a test.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin