Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,652   Online: 925

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

MIRROR UP MODE on an RZ-67

PLEASEcould anyone tell me how to use the mirrow up mode on the mamiya RZ67 mk1.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thread moved to medium format and title updated.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    You have to do several things - assuming you are using an RZ lens, you need to screw a cable release into the lens. Then, trip the main shutter by depressing the shutter button on the lower right, wait for vibrations to cease and then push the cable release to take the shot. You also need to be aware that you have 60 seconds from when you depress the main shutter button to when the shot needs to be completed - thus if you try to take a 15 second exposure but wait 50 seconds before pushing the cable release, you will only get a 10 second exposure since the main shutter resets after 60 seconds. There is no workaround to extend this time, which is why RZ make terrible cameras for long-exposures - removing the battery will just prevent the camera from firing.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
    You have to do several things - assuming you are using an RZ lens, you need to screw a cable release into the lens. Then, trip the main shutter by depressing the shutter button on the lower right, wait for vibrations to cease and then push the cable release to take the shot. You also need to be aware that you have 60 seconds from when you depress the main shutter button to when the shot needs to be completed - thus if you try to take a 15 second exposure but wait 50 seconds before pushing the cable release, you will only get a 10 second exposure since the main shutter resets after 60 seconds. There is no workaround to extend this time, which is why RZ make terrible cameras for long-exposures - removing the battery will just prevent the camera from firing.
    Really? I never knew about the 60 second rule, is that true for the Pro II models? I could have sworn I've taken a 2 minute exposure before.

Also, wouldn't using the camera with no battery enact the 1/400 second "emergency" fire? On Bulb would that potentially allow longer than 60 seconds? I'll have to experience now if no one is certain.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Really? I never knew about the 60 second rule, is that true for the Pro II models? I could have sworn I've taken a 2 minute exposure before.

Also, wouldn't using the camera with no battery enact the 1/400 second "emergency" fire? On Bulb would that potentially allow longer than 60 seconds? I'll have to experience now if no one is certain.
    According to the manuals (Pro II and regular RZ67) bulb mode is controlled electronically. So the "60 second rule" applies to bulb mode. To make longer exposures you need to use "time exposure." There's a "T lever" on the lens which must be switched from "N" to "T." That switches the shutter to mechanical control, and you can make long exposures.

http://www2.webster.edu/acadaffairs/...20PRO%20II.pdf
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use two 10" shutter release cables. I screw one on the lens, and one into the shutter release button. Just as Kevin said, you depress the shutter release button on the camera body, that triggers mirror up. Then trigger the actual shutter on the lens. There's a section in the manual that covers it, if that helps.

http://www2.webster.edu/acadaffairs/...20PRO%20II.pdf
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, I forgot about the T - mine is a little finicky and so I don't use it a lot and tend to forget about it.

As well, yes, if the battery is removed, you can do 1/400 but if you are in a situation where you need a long exposure, that is meaningless. I only mentioned it because I ran into someone once who thought you could override the timer by removing the battery.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
    Yes, I forgot about the T - mine is a little finicky and so I don't use it a lot and tend to forget about it.

As well, yes, if the battery is removed, you can do 1/400 but if you are in a situation where you need a long exposure, that is meaningless. I only mentioned it because I ran into someone once who thought you could override the timer by removing the battery.
    Well I figured in bulb mode it would override the timer with no battery the timer wouldn't function since its electronic.

However, as a previous poster said the lens has a T mode (timer) and that's certainly what I used to do longer than 60 second exposures.

Problem solved, but I'll be testing it when I get home just to be certain.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mamiya made a duel cable release. One press locks the mirror, a second press triggers the shutter. They show up on Ebay from time to time and are a little pricey.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Mamiya made a duel cable release. One press locks the mirror, a second press triggers the shutter. They show up on Ebay from time to time and are a little pricey.
    Yes but these aren't really necessary ... as earlier stated you can simply plug a normal (and inexpensive) cable release into the lens, then fire the normal trigger which locks the mirror up, then fire the shutter in the lens with the cable release.

It's late, I'm tired, I'll try the T function tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin