Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,840   Online: 779

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The 150mm f4 CF lenses

I have a Hasselblad 501CM. Love it, but so far only have the 80mm CB Plannar lens.

Due to some work successes, I am due to get £300 soon and wanted to use it to buy either a longer lens or a Macro lens for it.

Have looked at FFordes.co.uk and note they have quite a few 150mm f4 CF lenses (CFi lenses are out of my reach!) for about £300.

http://www.ffordes.co.uk/product/12101216325681

My main usage for my Blad is to photograph my kids (who are toddler aged) and landscapes when I get chance to get out and about. So on the one hand, I need a wider lens than the 80mm I have, but I think I'd use a 150mm more, but it's relatively slow f4 worries me a little as I tend to use slow films like Acros 100. Are the 150mm f4's recommended lenses, and if anyone can suggest a slightly better one for a little more money, I'd be pleased to hear of recommendations. How much were these lenses when bought from new before Hasselblad moved to H system?

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have it, and it's a great lens. From what I've heard, it's not something you'd want to shoot lens resolution charts with, but i've never had an issue with that, in fact it's sharp enough it seems to almost out resolve my 4x5 lenses... You definitely want to get an 8mm or 16mm extension to use with it, it brings the focus in and gives you a nice range to work with for portraits.

But we can talk all day about supposed goodness, here's a few images instead: http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w...q=150mm&m=text
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who cares about lens resolution charts when you're talking about top-notch lenses.

The 150 CF has become my most used lens, especially for pics of the kids. I shoot slow film too (160 mostly) and never seem to have a problem unless shooting indoors... and then I have no problem with connecting a strobe to it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is a great portrait lens, and nothing prevents you from using it for landscapes as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is a good lens. Have one in SL66 mount. The 180mm is said to be better (well it is better if you look at the MTF charts), but that does not mean that the 150mm is bad. I search Ebay quite often for Hasselblad gear and you can get a 180mm CF for 500 Pound if you have some luck. The 180mm is said to be much longer physically and heavier. For handheld work consensus seems that 150mm is better suited. Then there is also a 160mm CB Tessar. Some people say it is bad but I have seen wonderful pictures made with it. It is also rather light. I have seen this for about 300 Pound used (but beware: dealers often list it at unreasonable prices). The 150mm is better in picture quality though. If it is in good working order I think you can´t get wrong at that price.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Another 'go' for the 150mm. While not as sharp as say the 80mm standard, it does produce a nicely smooth look, the typical Sonnar signature. You can really make your subject drown in the surrounding blur. (Whow, I managed to avoid the word 'bokeh'.)

You may also consider a black 150mm C T*. Those are optically identical to the CF but go for less.

I agree with Slixtiesix above that the 160mm Tessar is very nice in handling but not as cool optically, not the same softish drowning effect.

Good luck with your choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info guys.

Interestingly, having looked at FFordes.co.uk first, I was shocked to see how much MORE they are selling for on eBay. Whilst £299 seems to be the average at FFordes, £450-£500 seems to be the average over at eBay! http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sa...temCondition=4

Not sure why given that with FFordes you get a little warranty too?
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...Not sure why given that with FFordes you get a little warranty too?
    The reason is that you have done the work to get educated, and many ebay buyers do not. They just assume that ebay is the best source for all things. There is probably some "auction fever" at work, too, assuming you are looking at completed auction prices.

As for the 150, if I had to restrict myself to only one lens of my kit and sell the rest, my 150 would be the keeper. Buy it, you won't be sorry. As mentioned, though, you probably will want a short extension tube if you're looking to do tight portraits.
    I would buy the 8 in preference to the 16, but I think the 8 is the most expensive one.

Shooter
    35mm
    but it's relatively slow f4 worries me a little as I tend to use slow films like Acros 100
    In medium format ISO 400 film grain is hardly visible. And the two stops extra can be used to avoid blur, especially if shooting handheld. The gain in image quality is probably more than whatever you might lose from film grain. Just an opinion. .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like the 150mm it will be then. Everyone seems to be in favour.

Excuse my stupidty (still learning the fineness of MF) but what are extension tubes for? A few people have saide I'd need one with this lens but I'm not sure why? Are they like "x2 Converters" in 35mm, making a 50mm to 100mm but with typically one or two stops lost? Again, I looked at ffordes.co.uk and found this, which is a 'Hasselblad Extension Tube 55' :

http://www.ffordes.co.uk/product/12112717332081

No specific mention of "8 or 16" extension tubes? And I'm not sure what sort I'd need for 501CM body?
    Ted Smith Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin