Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,659   Online: 875

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bag for Mamiya RZ67 kit

I know there are several threads along these lines, but I'm still unsure of which bag to purchase. I'm looking for a bag to hold and protect the gear while transporting via car and for short walks. I need something that I can sit on the ground, that provides easy access to the gear. This is the kit:

Mamiya RZ67 with 180mm and prism finder attached.
    Space for one or two additional lenses: 65mm and 110mm.
    2 to 4 120 backs
    Space for film, cable releases, filters, etc.

Any suggestions appreciated. I am going to take a trip to our local camera shop to see if they have something, but there inventory is limited.

Thanks,
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have various options, I use Lowepro bag myself, both a suitcase-style bag (with a shoulder strap option) and a regular backpack solution.

I suggest you bring your gear to the store and find a bag that will fit everything and have some spare room left.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...that provides easy access to the gear.
    Sorry...but with a RZ, bags that offer quick access, meaning...quick side or
    top access, really won't work well with the RZ.
    Get a bag that has a full zippered back with adjustable dividers. Take the pack
    off your back, lay it on the ground, fully unzip the back, access camera.
    Shooting with the RZ's bulk and mass, you sort of give-up anything...quick.

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    You have various options, I use Lowepro bag myself, both a suitcase-style bag (with a shoulder strap option) and a regular backpack solution.
    Could you be more specific about which bags you're using? A make or model? I think the Lowepro Pro Trekker 600 would work but a little more than I need ATM. I read somewhere that a person can fit 3 lenses, 3 backs and body into a Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 but he has to take the prism finder off.

I suggest you bring your gear to the store and find a bag that will fit everything and have some spare room left.
    Like I said, that's the plan but I know their inventory is limited. I'll probably have to purchase online. That's why I'm looking for specifics.

Thanks,
    --
    Kenton Brede

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
    Sorry...but with a RZ, bags that offer quick access, meaning...quick side or
    top access, really won't work well with the RZ.
    Get a bag that has a full zippered back with adjustable dividers. Take the pack
    off your back, lay it on the ground, fully unzip the back, access camera.
    Shooting with the RZ's bulk and mass, you sort of give-up anything...quick.
    Thanks Marc. I'm not looking for "quick" necessarily. By "easy access" I meant, having the compartments on one level. In other words I don't want to stack lenses, one on top of another, that kind of thing. I want all the gear visible when I open the bag.
    --
    Kenton Brede

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't go any smaller then this for your RZ, 2-3 lens kit.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_300_AW.html
    Spend some time looking through the bags and cases at sites like B&H.
    Lay-out all of your RZ equipment on a table, simulating the pigeon-hole dividers, (like the link).
    http://static.bhphoto.com/images/mul...IMG_144191.jpg
    Measure the total width, height, and depth of the gear you want to carry.
    Look for bags that have those [internal] dimensions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like so many other folks who like photography, i've accumulated about a half-dozen camera bags/packs. Of all of them, the only photo bag that i really like for Medium format is my Kata 3n1-30. My medium format kit is a RB67 Pro-S, 65mm and 180mm lenses, extra 120 magazine as well as my light-meter, film and a couple filters (plus small notebook, pens/Sharpies/soft-cloths/etc).

A life-long hobby of mine is backpacking and over the last 30yrs i've used most of the major brands on the market to compare with and i must say photographic backpacks have a loonnnnggggg way to go to catch up to the load-bearing requirements that come with Medium format. The Kata 3n1-30, while the best one i've used thus far (including various LowePro packs) suffers from insufficient shoulder straps. LowePro packs have much better shoulder straps and comparable (or better) pack fabric (but the zippers aren't as good), but i do not like to stack my lenses in a vertical position.

What i'm using now is a large-ish day pack (about 3,000 cu.in). It's an olive-drab color (definitely *not* pleasing to the eye....), but doesn't scream "EXPENSIVE CAMERA GEAR INSIDE - STEAL ME RIGHT NOW!!!", is made to carry hefty loads and is very durable. I store my lenses in neoprene padded cases and the other assorted gear in the various pockets.

What i am now looking for is something padded to store my RB67 in (inside my day pack). I may have to stitch something from neoprene myself, but i believe it will be well worth it because then ANY good pack will suffice and i don't have to rely on expensive "photography" packs to haul my gear.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    fmajor- have you talked to Photobackpacker about their system? Depending on your frame pack brand, they might have something that would work for you that would fit in your existing bag. I believe they are still sponsors/advertisers here on APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    fmajor- have you talked to Photobackpacker about their system? Depending on your frame pack brand, they might have something that would work for you that would fit in your existing bag. I believe they are still sponsors/advertisers here on APUG.
    THanks! I've not spoken with them, but I realize they make a great product - particularly for the LF Crowd. I had looked at their offerings after i began modding my own pack/gear organization and prefer to customize my own pack(s). The Kelty they use as a base is a great travel pack (it was a very, very strong contender for my own use).

I've just now been looking into prices for 5mm neoprene and related materials to make a case for my RB67 Pro-S. I'll need to develop a pattern that will accommodate different lenses, etc, but that shouldn't be too much of a challenge since i'll be stitching at home.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been using a Tamrac camera backpack for a number of years and have found it to be comfortable, tough and well made. They have a number of accessories should they be needed. Whatever you decide on, i would get a bag with more capacity than you think you need and if it is a backpack get one that is adjustable to your size. An illustrated catalog would be helpful in making a choice and if you intend to travel with it be sure it will fit in an overhead bin. the model I have is the 787 that easily accommodates a couple of MF cameras several lenses, filters, light meter,30 rolls of film and a Gortex shell just in case. It is easily reconfigured for large format or 35mm.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin