Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,484   Posts: 1,571,278   Online: 1028

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Franka Rolfix

They sometimes come up on the dollar table at the Photographica show. I picked one up and found the quality to be surprising good. It's not a Zeiss, but not bad at all. There are others in the same ballpark from the late 30's through the advent of coated lenses and common rangefinders. These were family cameras of the lower middle class (my family is a good example) and they were meant to be serviceable, not fancy. One of my own favorite "given away" cameras is a Kodak Monitor. A lot more expensive in its day, it has bells and whistles the Franka doesn't, but it's heavy, old fashioned and not immediately useable for most people (620 required). The Tourist or the venerable Six-20 can be found pretty cheaply at times as well. If you're looking for cheap, and you don't mind re-rolling film, 620 is the way to go.

I've been spending a lot of time processing donations to PHSNE in preparation for shows and auctions, and I can tell you that there are a lot of cameras out there that will cost less than $30 but are worth shooting. You just have to look around a bit and try your luck with more than one source. Ebay is not your best bet these days. You may have to loosen up a shutter or clean up a grungy case, but you get that with "cheap."

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    get a nice old agfa or kodak folding. this could be found within your limits. they usually work fine, they are easy to carry and they are a lot of fun. and pass on to something more expensive if you really get into it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find it odd taht we are constanly being told these items can't be found at bargain prices and instead get recommendations to buy inferior products.

Jason's got it right look locally and there's a surpring amout of excellent cameras that go for very low prices. I know I can pretty much guarantee to be able to get good post WWII folders for under £20/$32 with reasonable coated lenses. I have friends who sell a lot of cameras and photo gear on ebay and they have to source their items, it takes a bit of looking but it's fun and easy.

Recently I asked in an antique shop as I know they sell cameras as job lots and discovered they'd sold an M series Leica for £40 ($64) in good condition, they realised too late it was probably worth considerably more but they'd still made a profit as it had come froma house clearance.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wish I could find antique shops like that that sell usable 120s ... my little old Adox Golf is a delight to use, but can anyone expect to get a £10 (or even £20) folder that doesn't need constant repairs to the pinholes that keep appearing in the bellows?
    (not everyone has repair/restoration skills like yours Ian!)

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    you don't find them in antique shops and rarely on ebay. it's flea markets, boot fairs, local ads, charity shops and even camera fairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xya View Post
    you don't find them in antique shops and rarely on ebay. it's flea markets, boot fairs, local ads, charity shops and even camera fairs.
    I see them quite frequently in antique shops, sometimes at ridiculously high prices but in a few at bargain prices, camera fairs are the best place though.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I bought from APUG ,an Zeiss Ikon Nettar with Novar Anastigmat 75mm , for 20 Pounds , and you cant find any similar camera lens without investing to a used LTM lens , 6 times more expensive. I know it is confusing for an amateur to see holga and zeiss for 20 dollars. World is full of idiots and you can buy an used kia or mercedes to same price. Listen Ian and buy a Zeiss Ikon from APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will second the Zeiss Ikon Netter - Nettar 515/2 will give you eight pictures per roll (6cm x 9 cm) and a Nettar 515 will give you 16 pictures (4.5 cm x 6 cm). No reason why they should have any damage to the bellows, and the Nettar lens, if stopped down to f8, is superb.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Got a Kodak Tourist II for $1.50 a few months ago at a flea market. Works perfect. All I need to do is respool 120 to 620, which takes a mere two mins....

Here is what one is, found the below manual at Butkus.org:
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/kodak/k...tourist_ii.htm
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good luck!

Jeff

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin