Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,568   Posts: 1,545,440   Online: 1086

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    What camera do you think can give you the best image for super cheap?
    There were about a billion cameras sold in the history of 120 film. And used market pricing is all over the map. This thread tells me if you are lucky you might live in a place where there are flea markets, charity stores, and camera shows where there are bargains to be found. I personally checked out some charity stores near me and I didn't find anything of worth. There were certainly some interesting novelties like a Polaroid folder, but nothing I would ever use. Even if I found something that appeared to be in good shape the odds of me knowing what it was lens quality wise is small.

Other people have made some good points about light leak repairs and CLA. The thirty dollar price of admission may be just the start. You also need to figure in the cost of your time and gas driving around looking for these sub $30 bargains. It may make sense to just spend a little more and get what you want mailed to you.

Quote Originally Posted by sr44 View Post
    A Lubitel? You can find those for around $30 on ebay.
    I own a Lubitel and you might as well buy a fully automatic Canon film SLR for less than $90 and use it with all your great DSLR glass. The pictures from my 35mm SLR are infinitely better than the images from my Lubitel. And if all you care about is a consumer level Rebel SLR then you certainly can get one of those for <$30 on ebay. I just figured an extra $60 get's me top of the line prosumer so why not? A $35mm SLR that works with my lenses for my DLSR is my benchmark. If I am not getting overall better results then why would I pay more for film and hassle with a complex contraption? If you just like those kinds of cameras be my guest, but if we are just talking image quality something like a Lubitel is illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric Trexell View Post
    Film is not cheap for one and developing is hard to find and expensive.
    About $1.50 at Sam's Club to develop 36 exp roll of C-41 with no prints.

Less than $0.90 to develop a roll of C-41 120 film through Walmart's send out service, again no prints.

B&W costs pennies to develop yourself at the kitchen table... wouldn't even pay anyone to do this for me.

At a certain point we have to be realistic. The people we ask to develop our film have to eat too. Tossing them less than a wrinkled dollar bill is not unreasonable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are out there, all one has to do is look around....

Shooter
    35mm
    I managed to get hold of a fully functional Zeiss Ikon Ikomat 520/2 for £20 a while ago, slightly out of budget but came from a reputable and experienced ebay camera seller so I don't consider it to have been underpriced.

Put it on a tripod, use another camera as a rangefinder to get the focus spot on (and as a light meter), and it'll do amazing things.

Not sure about elsewhere in the world but charity shops in the UK are getting cunning. The staff are now under instructions to check any donations against web prices and sticker them accordingly.

Problem is, they're not a camera shop and do not have the same test or repair capabilities. They see a lens priced at £60 on ebay and don't understand that it's a chancer hoping someone will pay far more than the lens is actually worth. They often can't check for fungus or other faults, so they end up asking more than an item is worth and end up with an angry buyer who's been sold an item with mushrooms growing inside it.
    Last edited by PentaxBronica; 12-22-2012 at 11:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Best bang for the buck I ever got was the often mentioned here Zeiss Nettar. Mine was $25 and has the 75mm f6.3 triplet and 3 speed shutter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    2. Must have a good probability of working properly "as is."
    A pinhole camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Agfa Billy Record

I have had very good luck with the pre-war Agfa Billy Records. The bellows appear to be a much higher quality than the later Agfa examples. Shutters, apertures and focusing setups are much simpler, but simple is good after eighty years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nobody has yet mentioned the Hapo 66e. Mine was 15 bucks, has a great Enna lens (75mm f/4.5, but some came with f/3.5 models), uncoupled rangefinder, and a somewhat counterintuitive but very handy auto film advance. It worked great out of the ePay box, still does, and is my MF carry-around of choice. They are still cheap, and the sister camera the Balda Baldix (or is it the mess-Baldix?) is not quite as cheap but still affordable.

--nosmok

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A few months back, I scored the best deal that I've ever had since I started buying in 2000. Six classic cameras for $300.

- Super Ikonta 531/2 with a coated Zeiss-Opton Tessar
    - Super Isolette with a coated Solinar
    - Isolette III with a coated Solinar
    - Voigtlander Bessa I with a Color-Skopar
    - Baldina with a coated Schneider-Kreuznach Radionar
    - Certo 6 with a coated Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar.

All of the cameras had been well cared for, although the Super Ikonta needs its lens lubed, and the Certo 6 needs a rangefinder adjustment.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin