Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,735   Online: 936

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

"Best" 120/620 camera under $30

I get a kick out of generating great (or pretty good at least) image quality with cheap cameras. What camera do you think can give you the best image for super cheap?

OK, here are the rules.
    1. Must have ability to focus
    2. Must have a good probability of working properly "as is."
    3. Must have "fair value" of about $30 or less

Any ideas?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try to find something very cheap on ebay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about a £3/$4.80 Zeiss Nettar with a coated Novar lens, that's what I picked up about 2 months ago, and then there's the Ross Ensign 420 with no lens for £3.33 (with no lens) that happens to match the £2 Ross Xpres lens & shutter I'd bought a few weeks befire. So two excellent cameras for und $10

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A shiny new Holga

Shooter
    Multi Format

No such thing.

I think you are looking at this wrong. Had you asked this 15 years ago, I would have said it was an interesting quest. However today things have changed radically. Film is not cheap for one and developing is hard to find and expensive. If you look down the lists of posts in the MF section, you will see I posted a thing about an ad I found on CL for a Mamiya 645 for $140, with 13 rolls of film. That to me is dirt cheap. At my local camera store I bought a roll of color unboxed film for my MF camera and it was $7+. After developing, I will have about $17.00 in that roll. If I'm taking a picture of anything worth taking, I want the best camera I can find. Otherwise just get a pinhole camera. For that $17.00 by the way, I can buy a memory chip for my digital camera and get 700 pictures. (The MF is still more funner even though it cost more.) Why bother with a cheap camera at todays prices. Unless you can get a RB67 or a Hassy 500 for $30, it is time to put those $30 cameras on the shelf and look at them.

P.S. To those that say the word funner is not a real word, I say who says is aint?
    P.S. To those that say 'aint' isn't a real word, I say I know but it is more funner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Trexell View Post
    No such thing
    You need to get out and about more, I regularly see boxes of 120 cameras at £20($32), £10 ($16), and £5 ($8) orless and most are in good working order, and there's no shortage either. Many will get bought and resold on ebay where prices tend to be much higher.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Lubitel? You can find those for around $30 on ebay.

Ric - While I do agree with you when it comes to color film with lab processing, I can still have a lot of fun for under $3 a roll including processing, with freestyle branded films and developing myself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can probably find a used Holga or Diana that cheap. Or maybe an old Brownie Hawkeye or something similar. I've seen far better 120 cameras like Yashica TLR's go for under $100 on ebay though, which would be a far better investment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Then again, if you get to be known as the weird film camera collector guy around town like me, you'll soon have people just bringing you perfectly good old cameras for free. If they don't stop soon they'll end up having to put me on that TV show "Hoarders."

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a flawless NIB K1000 with a 50mm that I paid $50 for. I have a user Nikon F2 that I paid $25 for, but I had to find lenses. The deals are there, the really screaming one are found locally from people who think film is dead and have no idea what they have.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin