Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,351   Online: 814

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've swapped the rear element of the taking lens for the rear element of the viewing lens on the 135mm and it worked out great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the input! I wasn't going to take the elements out or anything so I don't need any special tools since it just twists off. I only thought to swap the rear groups but swapping both front and back or taking and viewing is worth a shot as well. I'll try all the variations and shoot a test roll and if all else fails, I'll get the glass cleaned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would set up a test -maybe cover a wall with newspaper (because of the fine detail in the print) clamp the camera ona good solid tripod and shot some test shots with a remote cable on a slow fine grained film with a wide aperture (a shallow depth of field shows up focussing issues much better) Then swap the lens elements and repeat.

The trouble with putting a film through in 'normal' usage is that stopping down, camera shake and the fact that each image is different makes it difficult to spot subtle errors. Might be a long time before you hit the conditions that show up a focussing error.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you sure the viewing lenses and taking lenses are the same quality ?
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looking at my Mamiya TLR lenses, it would appear that both viewing and taking lenses are identical and are marked identically (apart from the serial number).

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is one exception to the potentially interchangeable rule that I know about - the 80mm 'S' has a different viewing lens construction from the taking lens. The 80mm f3.7 uses a different (Copal) shutter and may also be non-interchangeable. This is not to say that the viewing lens is always as good for photographic purposes, but anecdotal evidence suggests that both optics are of similar quality.

Graham
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin