Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,657   Online: 672

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya TLR lens groups interchangeable?

I have two lenses. One with excellently functioning shutter but rear lens group has spots all over it. The other lens has very clean glass but a hesitant shutter. Anyone know if the lens groups are interchangeable between two lenses without any issues?

Shooter
    35mm
    I wouldn't risk it. Manufacturers are not well known for releasing essential data and you may end up with an unusual bit of glass that is about as usefull as a bucket full of holes. It may be possible to get the 'spotty' lens cleaned and go with that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had Flutot's Camera Repair do work on my Mamiya TLR lenses on the past and they might be able to help: http://flutotscamerarepair.com
    One caveat - last time I had them do work, they had a very long backlog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bmbikerider, You are probably right. I may just try it out and if it doesn't work clean out the spotty lens. Swapping them out is really easy so I can just as easily swap them back.

Mshuler, Thanks for the link. I'll have to check their prices out.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This has been discussed on a previous thread. Lens manufacturers have been to make make unannouced modififications to a lens formula. So the two lenses may not be identical.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Carol at Flutot's almost always states that her forte is shutter repair...not lens work.
    If possible, she even asks that you not send the glass with the shutter, (she mostly does LF shutters).
    So, (in your case) with a TLR group, (which she also repairs), she would probably only be interested in
    repairing the lens-set with the bad shutter, rather then swaping the good glass out of the bad shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can do the exchange without removing the lens pair from the lens panel, it will probably work. Each lens has a slightly different focal length, and the pairs have to be matched. Sometimes this is done with shims between the front elements and the lens panel. There is an argument to switch the elements of both taking and viewing lenses, but if you do it, I'd try the critical one and test the result carefully to see that resolution is what you expect, and that the focus remains in sync.

It's ultimately your call. Do get hold of the right lens wrenches before you start. There is always a risk of damage doing this sort of thing. You hear many tales of people doing front element swaps on these lenses. You don't hear about failures very often!
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know what this camera is worth to you but I would certainly try, especially if it is as easy as you say. I had a similar situation with two Mamiya 6 folders (the old 6). The one with the broken shutter had cleaner glass. In the end I kept one element from the dirtier lens and the rest were from the one with the broken shutter. It all worked out just fine and the finished product was better than either of its predecessors.

If it doesn't work, just put it back like it was and get it professionally fixed or cleaned!
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    as stated above, get the right wrench and try it. normally the come off easily and you can as easily swap back if the result is not satisfactory. I swapped rear lenses with mamiyas several times and it was always a success. good luck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would try it too. I would move both the front and rear lens groups from the dodgy shutter to the good one. If you find any shims, keep them with the lenses they came from.

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin