Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,860   Online: 992

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cable Release Problems with Hasselblad 501Cm - Includes video!

I have read this thread (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/5...wont-fire.html) and was going to reply to it, but given it's age I've started this new one.

I have a Hasselblad 501CM, year 2000 according to S\N.

I have recently (yesterday) bought a cable release for it. This one, to be precise (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2908191055...84.m1439.l2649) which is described, quite generically, as 'Locking Shutter Release Cable 40" for Hasselblad Bronica Sinar Olympus Mamiya".

Prior to attaching it to anything, the part that you press at one end has hardly any movement at all, perhaps about 1-2mm and only seems to move the prod at the other end by the same amount. When compared to the picture on eBay, it's visa versa. Suggesting to me that the plunger that your thumb pushes is already fully depressed. Trouble is, if you push the other end, it doesn't go back up!

When I attach it to the camera, which generally requires both hands, it doesn't trigger the shutter of my Blad at all when you press the 1mm of give on the plunger. In addition, I can only wind on the crank about 90%, not the last part. So I can't wind on and shoot. I have to detach the cable, complete the wind, then the shutter will fire with my finger.

I knew this would be hard to explain, so I've created a video and uploaded to YouTube. Forgive the clumbsy film but it demonstrates everything I have tried to explain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJwWL9Fqvvk

Help! What am I doing wrong?

Ted
    Last edited by ted_smith; 12-20-2012 at 01:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never had success with long cable releases. It it too easy to have sufficient friction, binding, or subtle kinks in them that renderthem inoperative. That is what your symptoms sound like to me. For logner cords it sometimes helps to hold them straight out from the shutter release when using. Unfortunately... with the Hassy that will likely put your hand in the frame. I don't use shutter release cables longer than 12 inches.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It looks like you’ve got the spring-loaded lock collar in the lock position. Press down on the collar against its spring and the main coil spring inside the tube should snap the core cable back to the retracted position.

To set the cable for normal operation, press down on the collar and as you hold it down, rotate the collar to lock it in the down position.

For long bulb exposures, rotate the collar the other way and it will spring upward to the automatic-locking position. Then when you depress the plunger it will stay depressed without having to hold it. When you want to terminate the exposure, press down on the collar and the core cable will retract.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian...

Yes...that was it. The little circular collar needs to be pushed down and then turned. Thanks for the help.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin