Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,915   Posts: 1,521,763   Online: 1070

Shooter
    Medium Format

rolleiflex fx first frame problem

Hi,
    I seem to have a Problem with my rolleiflex fx: the camera doesn't properly stop at the first frame of a new film. It does stop, but only halfway down the film. I'm losing 6.5 frames! The problem is repeatable with Kodak film. The toothed wheel in the takeup chamber spins freely and seems to be tensioned. No visible indent on the backing paper.

Has anyone encountered similar problems? How many full turns does it usually take too advance to the first frame?

Movin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not overly familiar with the Rollei range, but are we talking about the modern FX? If so, are you aware that they don't have Automat loading? You to wind on the film until the arrows line up with the red dot, then close the back, then keep on winding. I just bought a GX, and that seems to work perfectly if I do that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    On my 2.8E with the automat loading, it takes about three to four complete revolutions of the film advance lever to get to frame 1. Try that as a starting point.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My 3,5F takes 5 revolutions. I always count that. Once every 200 film that failed. At least I know it.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by movin View Post
    the camera doesn't properly stop at the first frame of a new film. It does stop, but only halfway down the film. I'm losing 6.5 frames! The problem is repeatable with Kodak film. The toothed wheel in the takeup chamber spins freely and seems to be tensioned. No visible indent on the backing paper.

Has anyone encountered similar problems? How many full turns does it usually take too advance to the first frame?

Movin
    Did it ever work correctly? Is it still under warranty?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Did it ever work correctly? Is it still under warranty?
    It's a used camera. I'm on the third roll of film with this camera. Roll 1 is still at the lab, roll 2 and 3 were BW film so I developed them myself. Both rolls showed the fault. So I can't actually say for sure whether I received the camera in fully working order.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The FX does not have the automatic film feeler of the 2.8F.

On the FX, you have to align the stop mark to the arrow.

I'm guessing the roller is not turning. I suppose you could experiment with a test roll by taping a strip to make it thicker and see if it makes a difference. Either way, it sound like the toothed wheel mechanism needs servicing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's a used camera. I'm on the third roll of film with this camera. Roll 1 is still at the lab, roll 2 and 3 were BW film so I developed them myself. Both rolls showed the fault. So I can't actually say for sure whether I received the camera in fully working order.
    First thing to do is to make sure you are in fact loading it correctly. Look on Youtube on how to load a Rolleicord, not a Rolleiflex, as the Rolleiflex GX and FX load like a Rolleicord. The FX and GX do not automatically know where the film is in the camera so you *must* wind the film so that the arrows are point at the red dot on the back of the camera. If you're not doing that, then you're not loading it correctly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, I suspect it did not come with the owner's manual.

It loads like a Rolleicord that manual is here: http://www.cameramanuals.org/rolleif...lleicord_v.pdf

You can also get a FX manual here but this link may be spam: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.dmQ&cad=rja

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    The FX and GX do not automatically know where the film is in the camera so you *must* wind the film so that the arrows are point at the red dot on the back of the camera. If you're not doing that, then you're not loading it correctly.
    To clarify:
    I am aware that the newer models are missing the film probe. The problem I'm facing is that the film is advanced too far. A displayed frame 1on the film counter is actually at frame 6 on the film. So I get blank frames at the beginning of the film.

The red dots that need to be aligned with the film starting mark are right below the takeup spool. So if I would load the film incorrectly by not advancing far enough before closing the back, I would get blank spaces at the end of the roll.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin